What Would You Do? Nlhe Tournament Hand

Blinds 200/400Live Bar TourneyHero is big stacked at the table with 6000Opponent 1 has 4200Opponent 2 has 1500Hero has a solid table image. No bluffs shown, has won most pots played - has not shown down a loser.Preflop action.Opponent 1 calls 400 Opponent 2 calls 400 - ButtonHero (Big Blind holds AhJh)Hero raises to 1500Opponent 1 calls the 1100 raiseOpponent 2 calls all-in.Flop action:9c 9h 4hWhat does Hero do? :club:

If you check, and he shoves, are you really folding for a bet thats 2/3rds the pot with two overs and the ace high flush draw?If you'd call his all in bet, you might as well just shove first when you see the flop...

Do we have any reads on the other players? Is the short stack in desperation mode? What's Opponent 1's current bar tab? Most importantly, what kind of cash and prizes are we dealing with structure-wise? There is 800 in the side pot, so yeah, shove. You are well ahead of most of Opp.1's range based on his PF call. Only argument against shoving is if you know Opp.1 is saavy enough to check down a small side pot, but bad enough of a player that you think you'll outplay him easily HU. Not a likely scenario, and not our best play, anyways.

Depending on the prize structure, I think a check/call anything might be a good line. I'm clearly not folding, but If I can see a free card while giving us the best chance to knock the shorty out...well...let's do it.

Ship it in. Maybe you'll get lucky and the other guy will make a fold with 22-33, 55-88.
I wouldn't even mind a call here on the flop, you're unlikely that to be in bad shape. Even if both of them have you crushed you're still >30% to win (unless quads/FH of course, but that would just be bad luck), and you only have to beat the big stack villain to get out of this hand with more chips than at the beginning.
Do we have any reads on the other players? Is the short stack in desperation mode? What's Opponent 1's current bar tab? Most importantly, what kind of cash and prizes are we dealing with structure-wise? There is 800 in the side pot, so yeah, shove. You are well ahead of most of Opp.1's range based on his PF call. Only argument against shoving is if you know Opp.1 is saavy enough to check down a small side pot, but bad enough of a player that you think you'll outplay him easily HU. Not a likely scenario, and not our best play, anyways.
There is a side pot? I read it as the shortstack all in and no side pot yet. With no sidepot, I don't see a reason to push Opp1 off a weak winner only to help the shorty triple up when we wiff.

^^^Hero could easily have the short stack beat even with A high, and he has an excellent draw, that is well worth the risk of giving the short stack a better chance of survival. And no bet except a push really makes sense in this situation.edited to add: every single chip you have more than your opponent in heads-up is valuable - play to win.

All,Thanks for the replys. I hadn't considered pushing the flop, but I will attempt to keep the above advice in mind the next time I am in the situation.I did push on the flop.Guinevar

There is a side pot? I read it as the shortstack all in and no side pot yet. With no sidepot, I don't see a reason to push Opp1 off a weak winner only to help the shorty triple up when we wiff.
One reason is that we have the chance to win with ace high (though we probably don't pick up any extra outs). We likely have the shortstack beat with our hand, so he's probably drawing to 4 outs. Why allow the other player in the pot to draw against us for free in this huge pot? Another good thing about getting the other guy out when he may've had a weak winner is that if we lose the pot (after he folds) we are still tied for the chip lead. I think the likelihood we are ahead + our draw + our position outweighs doubling our chance to lose this pot.

We do really need to know the kind of players we are up against here though... We especially need to know how solid Opp. 1 is as a poker player. We could actually make a play by checking the flop if we think Opp. 1 is dumb enough to bet into a dry side, commiting himself to the pot, and THEN shove to see if we can pick up free money in the process of flipping a coin with the short stack. But it all hinges on what we know about Opponent 1. You aren't folding. It would take a 9 or a 4 on the turn to even make a case for it. You have overs and the nut flush draw. You have the kind of hand that can win the tourney right there. Just shove. And for giggles, post results.

We do really need to know the kind of players we are up against here though... We especially need to know how solid Opp. 1 is as a poker player. We could actually make a play by checking the flop if we think Opp. 1 is dumb enough to bet into a dry side, commiting himself to the pot, and THEN shove to see if we can pick up free money in the process of flipping a coin with the short stack. But it all hinges on what we know about Opponent 1. You aren't folding. It would take a 9 or a 4 on the turn to even make a case for it. You have overs and the nut flush draw. You have the kind of hand that can win the tourney right there. Just shove. And for giggles, post results.
Sure.Opp 1 is relatively solid. Opp 2 is drunk.For giggles:I pushed with overs and the nut flush. I was called by 9s10s and did not improve.How much better is a pre-flop push here? Hindsight, I have to admit, it looks pretty nice, but I still enjoy the opportunity I gave myself. Most of the time, I like my present line.
Sure.Opp 1 is relatively solid. Opp 2 is drunk.For giggles:I pushed with overs and the nut flush. I was called by 9s10s and did not improve.How much better is a pre-flop push here? Hindsight, I have to admit, it looks pretty nice, but I still enjoy the opportunity I gave myself. Most of the time, I like my present line.
Then again, I might be approaching it from too much of a cash game stance.
How much better is a pre-flop push here? Hindsight, I have to admit, it looks pretty nice, but I still enjoy the opportunity I gave myself. Most of the time, I like my present line.
I'd say that I shove this pf 100 out of 100 times in a thousand different universes. There's 1400 in the pot when action gets to you. That's over 20% of your stack, and you've got the biggest one at the table. If everyone folds that's a desirable outcome as you've increased your stack by an appreciable amount. And if you get called you likely have the best hand or, at worst, you're racing against a smaller pocket pair. I'd be shocked to see a dominating hand turn over.There's dead money out there - go ahead and try to take it.
I don't think shoving preflop maximizes value against 2nd in chips. AJs is a monster three handed, and I don't mind taking a flop in position.