Can A Cell Phone Be Used As A Modem For A Laptop?

I just bought a Laptop for business, but will also use it for Poker on business trips when I'm away from home. I was just wondering if any techies out there know if there is a way I can use my cell phone to connect to the internet and have it somehow work with the computer. I have Road Runner and they have dial-up numbers that I can use. Both my phone and computer has Bluetooth, but I don't know exactly what that is or if it even matters. I vaguely remember someone from a Verizon Kiosk telling me a couple years ago one of their smartphones can do something like this, but I coud've heard wrong. Thanks for any help on this.

Yeah a lot of phones can do this over BT or USB, but you have to have the phone-as-a-modem plan from your provider. I don't know the specifics from Verizon, but I know Sprint charges a pretty penny for that service. Call 'em up and ask and they'll tell you what it costs and give you a dial-in number (it won't be what you use for RR).

I have Verizon's PPC 6700 and can use it as a high speed modem for my laptop.Alternately, most cell companies have aircards, little pcmcia cards that plug into your laptop that connect you their internet.If you have the PPC through Sprint the internet service is $15/month, through Verizon its $40.Mark

I have Verizon's PPC 6700 and can use it as a high speed modem for my laptop.Alternately, most cell companies have aircards, little pcmcia cards that plug into your laptop that connect you their internet.If you have the PPC through Sprint the internet service is $15/month, through Verizon its $40.Mark
Yeah, I was going to suggest the same. Just get an aircard from either Sprint or Cingular, then you shouldn't have to worry about connection issues in any major city.

Ok cool, thanks for the info! I heard about those cards but didn't know they were used with cellphones. I'll look into it.

Ok cool, thanks for the info! I heard about those cards but didn't know they were used with cellphones. I'll look into it.
They're not used with a cellphone. They plug into your laptop just like any other PC Card (Modem, NIC). You don't even need your phone to use it. Btw, Verizon ftw.
man, i cant wait for the iCar.
Have you heard of the iEye?Glass eye that allows you to view emails, pictures, maps, etc...