kurt's jack 10 at the wpt........

Kurt, First of all I hope you had a great time, and I hope you were satisfied with your overall play.I was curious about some key pots you lost that took you down to 18k. Im sure there were some major confrontations and I am excited to hear about them.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He knew you had the straight, and yet he called?"Because the pot at this point was maybe 7k or a lil over. 16k on top of that, isn't exactly pricing him in like some people mentioned."If you bet more than double the pot, he was not calling you down knowing that you had the straight. He was hoping you didnt, but asked you fearing the worst."If I just flat call AGAIN.... then a blank comes on the river... He is very capable of folding the trip aces, because almost everyone at the table knew I had the straight."When you flat called the first time, and then called and raised him all in for double the pot, he wouldnt be much of a "pro" to call you down if he knew you had the straight.

He is very capable of folding the trip aces, because almost everyone at the table knew I had the straightThey knew when you moved in, they don't know if you call.You see?They can't se through the cards. Of course they assumed it was the straight when you moved in there. It doesn't follow that they think it's the stright if you move in on the end if the river is a blank.

that is unfortunate that he hit runner runner and i feel bad wish you could have still been going strong! butttttttttt pushing the turn still doesnt make it right imo for the aforementioned reasons... but you gonna post how it was chillin with tj and daniel? i wanna see some stuff about that maybe youve already started and this post will be pointless..

He knew you had the straight, and yet he called?"Because the pot at this point was maybe 7k or a lil over. 16k on top of that, isn't exactly pricing him in like some people mentioned."If you bet more than double the pot, he was not calling you down knowing that you had the straight.  He was hoping you didnt, but asked you fearing the worst.
It wasn't him that asked... It was someone else. But I think he figured me for the straight or maybe called thinking maybe I had a weak Ace also. Ya know... I really am not sure why he called. I don't think it was a good call on his part, 3 aces or not. Unless he figured I was just trying to buy it.
Yes it is  Alan BostonHe is over 400k and is the chip leader right now.  At least you got busted by the chip leader after day 2.
Yeah, I saw a guy who was at my table today before I left, and he said that after I busted out he went on a tear and was killing the whole table. Gus started day 2 with like 10k which was good for 2nd to last. So I guess my table was tougher than it seemed.As for the other key hands, I'll make another thread with them in there.

I've made a point to avoid you because of the nature of your responses. Have you noticed this?You seem to have made a point of attacking me and being unable to deal with it if I respond in kind.Had you asked your questions civiliy you'd have recieved a civil response. Sorry that I don't patiently explain things when I'm treated rudely. Get that expectation out of your head right now.

So, Kurt, were you sweating bullets on this hand? I probably would have made the same move on a hand like this. From all the arguments here, I believe that it was the wrong move, but I applaud you nonetheless. I'd probably have a heart attack just trying to figure it out. Thanks for representing humble small timers like myself and others here at FCP.

"It wasn't him that asked... It was someone else. But I think he figured me for the straight or maybe called thinking maybe I had a weak Ace also. Ya know... I really am not sure why he called. I don't think it was a good call on his part, 3 aces or not. Unless he figured I was just trying to buy it."I dont think many pro's use the traditional party poker philosophy. (ie: he might be bluffing, i better not let him get away with it)If he was a decent player, and all signs seem to suggest that he is, he did not call a bet of double the pot thinking he was a heavy dog with one card remaining. He thought you had something else; either a king or an ace. In either case, he'd be just as likely to call the bet or raise on the river as he was on the turn.edit:And yeah, there's a chance i'd have done the same as kurt. When you're in the moment, you dont always look at these details. It's still not a good idea to push there.

So, Kurt, were you sweating bullets on this hand?  I probably would have made the same move on a hand like this.  From all the arguments here,  I believe that it was the wrong move, but I applaud you nonetheless.  I'd probably have a heart attack just trying to figure it out.  Thanks for representing humble small timers like myself and others here at FCP.
Basically... For me it was more simple... I was getting low... I wanted to double up. I still thought I had the best hand on the turn, and didn't want to mess around with the hand anymore, so I pushed. He called and got lucky, that's pretty much it. Trust me, you can disect it all you like, but when you have the best hand, and aren't exactly comfortable with your stack, and feel like you need to get a good amount of chips... you will put them in there with the best hand. That's all that matters. He caught his card. And here I am back in Chicago.

Trust me, you can disect it all you like, but when you have the best hand, and aren't exactly comfortable with your stack, and feel like you need to get a good amount of chips... you will put them in there with the best hand.Not if it's very very likely I can put them in with much less risk./shrug. I find it a little troublesome that you can't see that it was a mistake, but I understand ego and all.I'll stop with it now. Hope the thing was fun.

Given that info, the flop of King, Queen, Ace is GIN. The turn was an ace, another GIN card.  What do you mean by GIN?
Just basically saying it's exactly what I wanted on the flop.Then the turn is another good card, because if someone has an ace, I have a good chance to win a big pot.

How can you possibly say its a bad play. Now that I know the stacks and know Kurt has folding equity just calling is a terrible play. You want the money in the pot which at this point is substatial, theres a chance hes going to fold his trip aces, which he probably should have because a check raise on the turn is a HUGE hand in most situations and if he does call your still a 75 percent favorite to win. Basically Kurt priced him OUT of the pot and he made a terrible call and sucked out. Anything other then a raise all in after the check is pretty weak tight. You might as well check call all the way down with any big hand incase someone hits there long shot on the river. Talking about the "correct" way to play a hand, the all in was definatly pos EV and he got unluckyStill kurt i would have led the flop, looks like a steal and youll probably get played back against because its such a bluffable flop with limpers. If they all fold then...they all fold..oh well

I knew my gut and my logical head were arguing for a reason. Smash does make for a great argument. Not sure if everything is always cut and dry. But usually the arguments are pretty sound. If you like Kurt, I'll give David O a call, and ask him about the hand. I'll ask what your image was, how the hand went down in his eyes, etc. After that, I should have a pretty clear understanding of the right play in that spot. I trust his opinion immensely. I wish I would have known that you were sitting next to him. I could've given you some pointers that would have been more specific, lol.

Okay, it's official. The hand was played correctly. I'm kidding, it'll be a few days or so before I talk to Dave. He's still in the tournament. If he was on your left, I really do feel for you Kurt. He's a tough player.

Okay, it's official. The hand was played correctly. I'm kidding, it'll be a few days or so before I talk to Dave. He's still in the tournament.  If he was on your left, I really do feel for you Kurt. He's a tough player.
Ya know, it took me forever to figure out his name. I knew that I knew him, but couldn't figure his name out..... Then I was looking at the day 2 chip counts and saw it and it finally hit me.But just to make sure... He plays on Full Tilt now right? Kinda younger guy (younger being relative though) with a goatee and looks kinda mean? lol.I think he was on a TV table recently too, but I forget which one.
Okay, it's official. The hand was played correctly. I'm kidding, it'll be a few days or so before I talk to Dave. He's still in the tournament.  If he was on your left, I really do feel for you Kurt. He's a tough player.
Ya know, it took me forever to figure out his name. I knew that I knew him, but couldn't figure his name out..... Then I was looking at the day 2 chip counts and saw it and it finally hit me.But just to make sure... He plays on Full Tilt now right? Kinda younger guy (younger being relative though) with a goatee and looks kinda mean? lol.I think he was on a TV table recently too, but I forget which one.
No, that's John D'Agostino. David Oppenheim was on the WPT in Borgota with Carlos Mortensen. They are about 10 years apart. Hmm, trying to think if there is a pic of him online some where. Anyway, two different guys. If it was John, I don't know him. I think he's a pretty good player though.