Wsop Event #54 No-limit 2-7 Draw Lowball W/re-buys $ 5,000

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this on NWP; No Source..might be first hand? undefinedMutiny nearly occurred in the Amazon Room today as there was a massive dispute about players being blinded off in the Deuce-to-Seven lowball event. Many of the players showed up late, and those who pre-registered were being blinded off in the seven-handed game, where as those who were late registrants only had a smaller penalty. A dispute started at one table, spread to others and soon a impromptu break was taken so the WSOP officials could figure everything out. This of course gave Hellmuth time to explode. Negreanu went off the handle and Andy Black gave what could've been the greatest interview ever to WorldSeriesofPoker.com WSOP comes back with Rule 81, which states "Late Registrants for any event may incur a chip penalty. Players will lose one round of blinds/antes dead money into the pot for every 15 minutes late after a tournament has begun up to a maximum of three (3) rounds of blinds/antes." Hellmuth has the rule read to him and states in no uncertain terms that the WSOP is going to take huge flack for this. Black then walks in on a video update and grabs the rule sheet and rips it in half, claiming that there is a constitution in this country and then goes off about Lisandro's impotency problems. Play resumes and Hellmuth says to his table (which includes Negreanu and Doyle) "We need to make this better for next year, you can either be a fighter and complain about everything, or you can be a lover and make things right for next year. I'm a lover." I'm sure there are more details on this, but I've got a feeling this becomes a pretty big deal as several of the top pros are in the $5,000 rebuy tournament. After each hand, Hellmuth, Negreanu and Lederer get up to talk about the structure and the rules.
It looks like it's the same story every year. Players complain and say something needs to be done about all sorts of things and then nothing happens after the WSOP ends.

If Hellmuth buys in on time, and by the time he shows up, is blinded down to 1200, it makes virtually no sense that Berry Johnston can show up at essentially the same time and start with 8200, simply because he bought in late. It's basically a penalty for buying in on time. At the same time, I don't understand the idea of showing up late, and then bitching about being blinded off.

If Hellmuth buys in on time, and by the time he shows up, is blinded down to 1200, it makes virtually no sense that Berry Johnston can show up at essentially the same time and start with 8200, simply because he bought in late. It's basically a penalty for buying in on time. At the same time, I don't understand the idea of showing up late, and then bitching about being blinded off.
Nobody is bitching about being blinded off, they think that's the fair thing to do. They are bitching about the backwards ruling.

Let's face it, these guys are not "conventional businessmen" who get into going to committee meetings, reading minutes, nit-picking over procedural documents, etc. That's why they are professional poker players and live unconventional lives (where money is concerned). Most did not follow the conventional paths of life in choosing and maintaining their careers. Of course there are exceptions ... but ....The skills you need to run a poker tournament are not exactly the same skills you need to win one.That's not a bad thing. It just is.

Nobody is bitching about being blinded off, they think that's the fair thing to do. They are bitching about the backwards ruling.
I guess 'bitching' probably clouded what I was getting at. This is what I was referring to, specifically..
The decision was made that Berry should be assessed three rounds of blinds and antes, which is 1,800 chips. Many of the players who pre bought in, but showed up late to their stacks started with significantly less than that. This reportedly includes Amir Vahedi, who was subsequently eliminated from the tournament. This is going to continue to develop, and we will keep you updated on all related issues.
Obviously, Rule #81 is unfair in practice, but, it's the player's responsibility to show up on time. The players only have themselves to blame for their vacated chip stacks.

seems like the players complaining are acting like superstar babies..you come late and your seat is empty...all the other 7 players are like free chips and fold fold fold.. I think some of these guys ( hellmuth) think they are above everyone else..maybe he is..but he is just a poker player.

The whining about the rules in general has gotten old, whether justified or not. It seems like 90% of this could be forgotten if the name pros didn't feel that the starting time was a suggestion of when they should show up to play poker.

5:53 PM - "Just lost a pot with 23579 vs 87432"5:53 PM - "87k now"5:57 PM - "Missed 2345. Lost 10k that hand too."Uh oh...This is where Daniel usually goes into a downward spiral. Has happened this whole wsop.

5:53 PM - "Just lost a pot with 23579 vs 87432"5:53 PM - "87k now"5:57 PM - "Missed 2345. Lost 10k that hand too."Uh oh...This is where Daniel usually goes into a downward spiral. Has happened this whole wsop.
That's what I was going to say. You beat me to it. Let's hope he can learn from his past experiences.