Wsop Event #45 No-limit Hold'em / Six Handed $ 5,000.00

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anthony:"I have A4 and raise a couple hundred. Howard Lederer calls. Flop 952. I bet 2/3 the pot. He raises I call. Turn K. I bet 2K trying to represent AK KQ because I've been playing tight. He puts me all in for a few hundred more. River a blank. He shows A9. I'm out."
FCPers here are making constructive criticisms. They are trying to help you out so that you can play better next time. Anyway, I have to be frank. Keep your strategy simple --- you are a beginner after all. I advise against making creative plays until you are confident in your skills. That play you did against Lederer was not rational.My advice: Don't ever bust out with nothing, especially when you don't have a lot of chips to afford a bluff.Good luck in your next event.
Well, after my call after the reraise, I had 3500 chips left. I didn't put him on that big of a hand. A low pocket pair maybe or possibly even trying to take the pot with nothing. I wanted him to think I had AK or a high pocket. If I had pushed all in instead of bet 2k on the turn, I might have taken it down. He gave a long thought before pushing me all in. I thought a smaller bet might have been better against a pro. Just my thinking on the last hand be it right or wrong. I'm not going to peg my results on bad luck but I think I have been running pretty bad lately. A lot of hands weren't posted. Like earlier today I had a set, bet it preflop, on the flop and turn and had to call the river when he made a straight. Or last tournament when I had QQ vs. 1010 aipf. AA vs. flush draw. Set vs. flush draw. Needless to say, I was the favorite a lot of the times when all the money went in. Anyway, I'm starting to rant. Hopefully my luck/skill improves for the main event.
good luck in the next one man. I will be the first to admit I didnt like the play. I saw your reasoning and personally didnt agree with it, but I suck at poker and your the Protege so my opinion means little :club: Hope you run better in the ME and have a big score. Just remember you are living the dream alot of people would love to be living so win or lose have a freaking great time and dont worry about the naysayers.

Yeah, for the record, I wasn't there so I don't know the table dynamics, but for me, that's a bad play against the wrong opponent. You took a chance and it didn't work so it's time to learn and move on. GL in future tourneys.

FCPers here are making constructive criticisms. They are trying to help you out so that you can play better next time. Anyway, I have to be frank. Keep your strategy simple --- you are a beginner after all. I advise against making creative plays until you are confident in your skills. That play you did against Lederer was not rational.My advice: Don't ever bust out with nothing, especially when you don't have a lot of chips to afford a bluff.Good luck in your next event.
Stick around here, you could contribute something to these forums.This is just my take on the situation, so correct me if I'm wrong. Part of what seems to be the problem with the AMak-Daniel relationship is that it seems Daniel is teaching Anthony to play a very sophisticated style. The problem with playing a very LAG style like this is that it takes a lot of poker sense, intuition, and experience. To expect a relative novice in the poker world to jump into big buyin tournaments playing a fairly fancy, LAG style, he is going to make many mistakes. For Anthony, I would recommend just playing a more ABC, TAG style and see where that gets you.

Anthony, good luck in the upcoming events dude. You're burning up the buy ins playing the WSOP. Go practice more at the Venetian double stacks. Seeing your HH's it's obvious you don't have the game. Your thinking process is also way off IMO. Play more ABC, you are getting into big pots with very marginal hands.I hope to see more color in your personality. The interviews and your presence seems real boring. Sorry for being harsh, being that I'm Asian I'd like to see you do well. Don't be a typical nerdy Asian kid, talk more to some of DN's friends if you get a chance. Listen to their words of wisdom. They splash around the pot alot but when the money goes in THEY HAVE THE GOODS.Seriously good luck man, hope you play well enough for a big score. I wish I was in your shoes. Great opportunity here, make the best of it.

i know this gets the thread off course since anthony was here, but here is more hellmuth greatness:Justin Bonomo and Phil Hellmuth Share WordsJustin Bonomo bets out 4,500 on the turn of {3d}{7d}{Jd}{Ks} and Phil Hellmuth calls. Bonomo bets out 12K on a river of {Js} and Phil calls. Bonomo shows {Kc}{Jh} for the boat and Hellmuth mucks.Following the hand, Hellmuth utters "effing amateur" to Bonomo and follows with "You've been raising every hand, you can't have a hand ever time!" -- which he had apparently also said while Bonomo was in the middle of previous hands.Bonomo calls the floor over and tells them that Hellmuth had not only called him an "effing amateur," but also has been talking about how Bonomo can't have a hand WHILE Bonomo is currently in a hand. Phil acknowledged that talking while Bonomo was in a hand was out of line and said he was just steaming and apologized.Bonomo responds "You apologized before. You did it to me in the 50K, you did it to me at Bellagio, you can't influence action while I'm in a hand!" Phil again apologizes. Bonomo says "You apologized before, just stop doing it. You're supposed to be a professional, stop acting like an amateur."The Tournament Director tells them both not to talk while the other is in a hand and gives them both a warning.Two minutes go by (Hellmuth visibly steaming the entire time) and Hellmuth mumbles, "He really has been raising every hand."Justin comes back with "You know what Phil, then re-raise me."Unless this table breaks, this is surely not the last of this battleat least have to give phil credit for the apology here, i've never seen him apologize for anything he's ever done at a table while he was actually still at the table

Anthony,Sorry to hear about today. It's just building up all the bad beats you'll be giving everyone at the ME. The ME will be a lot of starting chips like at WPT Commerce in which you lasted through a big field. Just try an keep having fun with it. I'm sure you're going to do great in it but what ever happens, like DNA said, you're living the dream of alot of people and your earned the right to be there. Forget what some of the idiots say and just play and get the big cash!! Best of luck!I'll see ya at the main event.

This is just my take on the situation, so correct me if I'm wrong. Part of what seems to be the problem with the AMak-Daniel relationship is that it seems Daniel is teaching Anthony to play a very sophisticated style. The problem with playing a very LAG style like this is that it takes a lot of poker sense, intuition, and experience. To expect a relative novice in the poker world to jump into big buyin tournaments playing a fairly fancy, LAG style, he is going to make many mistakes. For Anthony, I would recommend just playing a more ABC, TAG style and see where that gets you.
I agree with this 100%. LAG styles are very read-dependant, and you just can't expect up and comers to be able to rely on their reading skills. ABC is the way to go, you want your chip swings to happen when you are reasonably sure you have the best of it, and not in marginal situations.Oddly enough, I don't hate the idea of him making plays against a strong opponent who have the *ability* to lay down a good hand. But I think it would be far easier for him to just be rocky and take the safe, easy donkey dollars in the earlier stages of the minefields through strong hands and strong flops. You get too much play on your money in the early stages to succumb to FPS. You want to accumulate the free money, but there is no real reason to force it in a marginal spot.
Well, after my call after the reraise, I had 3500 chips left. I didn't put him on that big of a hand. A low pocket pair maybe or possibly even trying to take the pot with nothing. I wanted him to think I had AK or a high pocket. If I had pushed all in instead of bet 2k on the turn, I might have taken it down. He gave a long thought before pushing me all in. I thought a smaller bet might have been better against a pro. Just my thinking on the last hand be it right or wrong. I'm not going to peg my results on bad luck but I think I have been running pretty bad lately. A lot of hands weren't posted. Like earlier today I had a set, bet it preflop WHAT? on the flop and turn and had to call the river when he made a straight. Or last tournament when I had QQ vs. 1010 aipf. AA vs. flush draw. Set vs. flush draw. Needless to say, I was the favorite a lot of the times when all the money went in. Anyway, I'm starting to rant. Hopefully my luck/skill improves for the main event.
With 10k in chip and blinds small I don't know why you picked this hand to be fancy with vs a top pro. Trying to rep hands oop is -ev when brick hits. GL!

Amak is honest and post his "mistakes" whether he sees them or not. Some of us are probably qualified enough to give quality responses and constructive criticisms to help him (if he wants it). He doesn't "bashing". There's a good way to tell someone they made a bad play and a bad way. As for the Hellmuth/Bonomo thing....just reminds me that I pretty much hate all poker players. I think I'm of the adam schoenfeld mold. I love playing poker, I love the cards and being at the table. I hate people. Especially poker playing people. I hate myself, so it fits in line nicely. :)Egos, egos, egos, machismo, testerone, cheats (bonomo), punks, attitude, sappy niceness, fake good luck, complainers, whiners, babies, happy-go-lucky, bad jokes, bad jokes, bad breath, bad smell, too talkie, too friendly, too angry, too loud, too much hair chest showing, know-it-all, know-nothing poker players. Take your pick.

at least have to give phil credit for the apology here, i've never seen him apologize for anything he's ever done at a table while he was actually still at the table
LOL. Phil always "apologizes" when he gets the floor called on him. This definitely isn't the first Phil/Justin run-in. Phil just doesn't know when he's gone over the line.P.s. I was actually dealing when this happened. DRAMA BOMB!
Anthony:"I have A4 and raise a couple hundred. Howard Lederer calls. Flop 952. I bet 2/3 the pot. He raises I call. Turn K. I bet 2K trying to represent AK KQ because I've been playing tight. He puts me all in for a few hundred more. River a blank. He shows A9. I'm out."
I'm still not impressed :club:
LOL. Phil always "apologizes" when he gets the floor called on him. This definitely isn't the first Phil/Justin run-in. Phil just doesn't know when he's gone over the line.
You know I think it's in poor taste for Phil to rant and rave about being the best hold'em player in the world (true or not), to call people donkey's, to say "you can't even spell poker", to cry like a baby when he gets busted. That's all bad etiquette. Saying stuff like "You've been raising every hand, you can't have a hand every time" is WAY, WAY, WAY over the line into cheating territory. That's clearly going to influence the actions of an unobservant opponent at the table. It's nearly as bad as when someone is facing a decision saying something like "Call him. He's bluffing." I think if anyone else did something like this to Phil, the other guy would be getting a penalty. If I were the floor Phil would be getting a penalty. Phil knows better.

Guys--remember that AMak is a pro-TEGE, not a pro. Give him a break, already.AMak, lesson learned. While some posts are correct, don't let the armchair quarterbacks get to you. You're learning...and in arguably the coolest possible way from one of the game's best teachers. We all make mistakes--and let's face it, there are a billion mistakes to be made in poker. The way to improve is just to not make the same one twice.As for FWP--you kill me dude with yet another post that was so clearly worth coming out of your "forum retirement" for. :club: