Trips Top Kicker

My read on the Villian is TAG and seems pretty solid. Has been to a couple showdowns in big pots early with a set and top 2 pair. PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FCP)CO (t4940)Button (t3260)SB (t1085)BB (Villian)/ (t6780)UTG (t5495)UTG+1 (t1650)Hero (t2585)MP2 (t5255)MP3 (t3350)Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A :D , 7 :D . 2 folds, Hero calls t100, 4 folds, SB completes, BB (Villian)/ checks.Flop: (t300) 7 :D , 7 :) , J :D(3 players)SB checks, Villian checks, Hero bets t200, SB folds, Villian calls t200.Turn: (t700) 4 :club:(2 players)Villian checks, Hero checks.River: (t700) T :)(2 players)Villian bets t300, Hero raises to t900, Villian raises to t2500, Pot size 3285Hero has t1385 left.Hero??Pot odds 2.4 to 1. Instant call right? With 1385, I would be down to an M of 9, with that changing to an M of 6.2 in about 5 minutes. Alive, but with not much to do.Hands that beat me 10's, J's, 4's, 8-9, 7-4, 7-10, 7-JHands I beat K-7, Q-7, 9-7, 8-7, 6-7, 5-7, 3-7, 2-7J's and 10's would likely have raised preflop, and 8-9 seems like a really loose call on the flop.

I think you're beat 8/10 times here if you give your opponent credit for being a solid player. Bet the TURN!!! Beat every street when you feel you're ahead and there's a chance your opponent could catch up. With the preflop play, your opponent could have almost anything.

Don't raise the river if you don't know what to do.If you knew what you would do and are posting to see if you were "correct". imo, if you check the turn, you do it to induce a bluff from a worse hand, that too often folds on the turn and has little outs against youI would take what he gives you ($300) and call the River.I would essentiually call any River bet and figure you are beat by too many hands that would call a raise from you, to take the risk.

I call praying he doesnt have the straight that you let him slide into. You have to bet the turn hard. I understand that you are trying to set him up, but in an unraised preflop pot he could have just drawn right to the straight and you did nothing to stop him form doing that.Edit Or what he said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think you're beat 8/10 times here if you give your opponent credit for being a solid player. [snip]
No way, there are dozens of hands, Hero beats - that could even be AA/KK if it's a low buy-in tourney. I would instacall here.Btw. because it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'm not a fan the open-limp preflop here.

This was my thinking on the river. The hands I was really concerned about were J's, 10's and 8-9. I really didn't think J's, or 10's would play this hand this way. With Jacks I thought that this player would have put in a bet preflop; same with 10's. I thought 10's would also put in a bet on the flop. This player seemed too tight to call on a gutshot, but I thought he would play a weak jack like this up to his initial river bet. At that point, I put in a modest raise thinking a jack might payoff at 3 to 1 pot odds. Obviously, I played this hand rather poorly, and honestly I didn't think about what happens if he decided to push before I made my river raise. I ended up calling b/c playing a short stack did not feel to appealing if I folded trips.Results in whiteHe turned over J-7, so I was dead from the beginning. However, one of the players at the table felt there was no way that A-7 was good in this situation. I wanted to see if it was really that obvious to people here, or if people thought K-7, Q-7 or another 7 might play it this way too.Thank you for the responses

This hand would never have occured if you'd just raised preflop. As played, I call river, but tbh I basically never open limp, I don't mind overlimping with this sort of hand but IMO it should be a raise or a fold preflop.

What is the buy in? Also, with your stack, preflop is really bad. You aren't deep enough to be limping, especially marginal hands in middle position. I like flop bet, that's pretty sexy. Although on the turn his range is like so tight to a jack or a 7 that I basically always bet and hope dude has like 87s and we get it all in. On the river, I'm getting it in and being reasonably happy about it.