PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FCP)BB ($23.95)UTG ($66.50)Hero ($55.55)MP1 ($47.70)MP2 ($50)CO ($56.45)Button ($53.30)SB ($65.90)Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K :) , K :D . UTG calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2.5, 4 folds, SB calls $2.25, 1 fold, UTG calls $2.Flop: ($8) 9 :D , 3 :) , 5 :club:(3 players)SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $4, SB folds, UTG calls $4.Turn: ($16) 7 :D(2 players)UTG checks, Hero bets $8, UTG calls $8.River: ($32) 9 :D(2 players)UTG bets $52 (All-In), Hero ?What can he have here? And how often is river shove a bluff?My bets are too small I know some will say.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FCP)BB ($23.95)UTG ($66.50)Hero ($55.55)MP1 ($47.70)MP2 ($50)CO ($56.45)Button ($53.30)SB ($65.90)Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K :) , K :D . UTG calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2.5, 4 folds, SB calls $2.25, 1 fold, UTG calls $2.Flop: ($8) 9 :D , 3 :) , 5 :club:(3 players)SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $4, SB folds, UTG calls $4.Turn: ($16) 7 :D(2 players)UTG checks, Hero bets $8, UTG calls $8.River: ($32) 9 :D(2 players)UTG bets $52 (All-In), Hero ?What can he have here? And how often is river shove a bluff?My bets are too small I know some will say.
Dump it and bet more on the flop with multiple villains involved next time.Meh. I'm going to rethink this a little. You never showed much desire for this pot. I'd hate to call and see an 89, but this is why we bet harder on the flop ... to define our hand to the opponent and ourselves. At the river, I can see JJ TT QQ, even A9, saying to himself, "the raiser's AK or AQ didn't hit. I must be good." A missed flush draw pushes on the scare card as well. ... This is more complicated than it seemed.
This isn't a bluff often enough to make this call profitable. Every reasonable hand drew out on you. I think you have to dump this.
Any reads on villain? If he's tagtastic, obv dump, but against an aggressive and stupid player I'd be inclined to call this.
I had been at table bout 20 hands he was there when I sat. he was 20 vpip, not raised a pot and had won won small pot w/o showing.
Dump it and bet more on the flop with multiple villains involved next time.Meh. I'm going to rethink this a little. You never showed much desire for this pot. I'd hate to call and see an 89, but this is why we bet harder on the flop ... to define our hand to the opponent and ourselves. At the river, I can see JJ TT QQ, even A9, saying to himself, "the raiser's AK or AQ didn't hit. I must be good." A missed flush draw pushes on the scare card as well. ... This is more complicated than it seemed.
remember this is a $50 nl game. so you have to adjust the thinking level. without any reads or hands played with villian we can hardly tell if hes even tried to put hero on a hand here. Im putting him on 55, 33, possibly some rag hand like 4 6 suited but thats pushing, A9 also seems reasonable. Althought with A9 youd expect a raise or check raise on the flop. Of course assuming our opponent here is a level 1 thinker and hasnt put hero on an overpair. Wow I feel for the pros, playing in a tournament where you are playing with hundreds of opponents whos thinking level varies from infinity to non-existent
This was my thoughts too, the flop was so good for me I got greedy with small bets. Maybe set of 3's or 5's, I just was lost as to why he pushes.edit: agreed usernametaken
This was my thoughts too, the flop was so good for me I got greedy with small bets. Maybe set of 3's or 5's, I just was lost as to why he pushes.edit: agreed usernametaken
People push for two reasons: a - they think you'll foldb - they think you'll call
People push for two reasons: a - they think you'll foldb - they think you'll call
The most true statement I have ever heard in my life.
This isn't a bluff often enough to make this call profitable. Every reasonable hand drew out on you. I think you have to dump this.
What reasonable hand does he have here that draws out on me? other than x946 is only hand on flop really to draw with and thats pretty unlikely in his hand after preflop action.People push for two reasons: a - they think you'll foldb - they think you'll call So we agree mtdesmoines, I think, that I am crushed by trips or boat, or he has nothing?

I'm probably folding. You really don't know what's going on in the hand becuase your bets were so small and weak looking. I can't ever see him with an overpair playing like this becuase he'd probably have raised preflop or bet the flop or raised the flop or something.Honestly, I don't really know what range to put the villain on. All I can see is that you have to call off your stack getting way less than 2-1 odds against a hand that has played totally out of the ordinary. Most of the time when it doesn't make sense as a bluff, it's becuase it's not a bluff. I'm gonna fall back on that rule here and fold.

What reasonable hand does he have here that draws out on me? other than x946 is only hand on flop really to draw with and thats pretty unlikely in his hand after preflop action.People push for two reasons: a - they think you'll foldb - they think you'll call So we agree mtdesmoines, I think, that I am crushed by trips or boat, or he has nothing?
These are the possibilities in my mind999xxQQAAJJTTbusted diamond drawI probably rely on my read of his player style to make this decision. Here's the thing: it's a pretty good sized over bet. If you had trips or a boat, would you overbet someone who had a history of short-betting his way through the hand? Or would you value bet? If you had a busted combo draw here, would you short bet and lose, check/fold and lose or push all in to push someone off their hand and take this pot?

yeah... i mean, i guess i could see him having 6 7 suied (flopped DBBSD) & made his pair on the turn w/ the draw.. believing you missed w/ A Q / A K could justify this play, and again, let's remember the stakes - he could be a donk who saw the WPT last week & thought it looked "interesting" - figured he'd give it a shot... hell, "that one guy that one time DID win w/ the 7 4 off suit so maybe i should play it too cause it worked for him why can't it work for me?" what's he open limp w/ UTG? he obviously likes the flop & turn enough as he's following all the way then he pushes the river.. sounds to me like you're beat... what can you really beat? sure he doesn't know you ahve two kings but you dont know what he has either... he could have 9 2 hh and called "because they're suited" lolz... i think you did kinda run yourself into this one.... getting to the river wasn't what you wanted to do, you should have tried to TID on the turn IMO...

I'm probably folding. You really don't know what's going on in the hand becuase your bets were so small and weak looking. I can't ever see him with an overpair playing like this becuase he'd probably have raised preflop or bet the flop or raised the flop or something.Honestly, I don't really know what range to put the villain on. All I can see is that you have to call off your stack getting way less than 2-1 odds against a hand that has played totally out of the ordinary. Most of the time when it doesn't make sense as a bluff, it's becuase it's not a bluff. I'm gonna fall back on that rule here and fold.
agreed ---- but what if he really IS a donk?donks dont know how to bluff... at all... they're not competent @ telling the story that they have the nuts... that's why so many of them just do that wierd "all in" outa no where makes no sense play... i see it @ the tiny limits all the time... they just think "well, there's no other way for me to win this but to bet" *i'd fold here too... i dont mean to be the devil's advocate, but just for the sake of argument what if he's no good @ bluffing & really is right here?
If villian has 1010-QQ then that river was bad for him as well. Pushing with that range on that river is so horrible. If they think raiser has AK-AQ then they should value bet or check to induce a bluff. Overbet pushing just turns a hand like 1010 into a bluff because when you get called you're smoked.

ISAP and agree with all who say this hand should have been over on turn. Lets say that I bet 12 into the 16 pot on turn and he calls, and then pushes on river does this make difference?

ISAP and agree with all who say this hand should have been over on turn. Lets say that I bet 12 into the 16 pot on turn and he calls, and then pushes on river does this make difference?
ye because you can put him on a likely range aka TOP PAIR, two pair, str8, etc.at this level this push is probably a big hand.
If villian has 1010-QQ then that river was bad for him as well. Pushing with that range on that river is so horrible. If they think raiser has AK-AQ then they should value bet or check to induce a bluff. Overbet pushing just turns a hand like 1010 into a bluff because when you get called you're smoked.
I'm not quibbling with your assessment of the quality of the villain's play no matter what the villain holds here. Frankly, no matter what the villain holds, the all-in at the river is a bad play, unless he wants hero to fold to his missed flush draw. That's not to say that the villain isn't simply thinking: "I have three nines. It's the best hand and I'm betting everything."However, the difference between a good player and bad player is that the good player catches the bad player and makes him pay for his bad play. Frankly, I think pushing with 999xx here would be bad. Our hero has shown limited interest in this pot. I think we should talk about why the villain would think he could get the call from what would seem to be a weaker hand? With 999xx, the villain's maximum value seems to come from a decent value bet, given the hand history. I think we could pick up another handful of BBs with a good value bet, while the all in could leave those BBs in the hero's stack.
What reasonable hand does he have here that draws out on me? other than x946 is only hand on flop really to draw with and thats pretty unlikely in his hand after preflop action.
What else could he have? Hell, even if he had a gut shot that got there. If he was calling on the flop and turn with a hand you now beat on the river why would he all of a sudden push when the 9 hit? Isn't he calling because he thinks he has the best hand and you're bluffing with ak or some other nonsense? His line just doesn't make sense for a bluff. In fact, it looks to me like he has a straight, perhaps a boat. Yes people sometimes float the flop and turn looking for scare cards to represent, but calling hoping the board pairs doesn't make sense. He called a dry flop, a turn that only completed one hand, and now pushes the river? Unless he's an idiot who all of a sudden changed his game plan in the middle of the hand, this isn't a bluff. If I had a read that this guy was a superdonk I can't see calling here.
Not really. No.

I think there has been some really good posts in here, but for those who wondered this was my action and result in spoiler form so disscussion can continue

hero folded and doesnt know what villian had

Thx to all who have shared their ideas

If Villain thinks he has the best hand he's going to push quite often, because at a $50 table he's going to get paid off. Also, betting 1/2 the pot with a real hand is fairly common at these limits.