Wsop Event #39 World Championship H.o.r.s.e. $ 50,000

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing about Hellmuth is, even if he was twice as good as he thinks he is, he's still a douchebag.I can't stand his antics. "If it weren't for luck..." "I'm the best holdem player in the world" "This guy can't spell poker" etc, etc, etc... ad naseum.If he final tables this event it will just feed his douchebag ego even more, and we'll all be forced to live with it or give up railing big tourneys.Other players also have a similar rep, but I actually like most of them. The Mouth, The Sheik, The Unabomber? I think they're hilarious.I can't really put my finger on it, other than simply to say that I think he's an unfunny douchebag similar to Jamie Gold.
Can you tell me if you would be this upset if the Bengals won the Super Bowl and Chad Johnson was the MVP with 4 TD receptions? He would undoubtedly run his mouth about how he's the greatest in the game... some people play up to the cams, they ham it up... some people don't thats life.Phil backs it up every chance he gets. Get over it.
The thing about Hellmuth is, even if he was twice as good as he thinks he is, he's still a douchebag.I can't stand his antics. "If it weren't for luck..." "I'm the best holdem player in the world" "This guy can't spell poker" etc, etc, etc... ad naseum.If he final tables this event it will just feed his douchebag ego even more, and we'll all be forced to live with it or give up railing big tourneys.Other players also have a similar rep, but I actually like most of them. The Mouth, The Sheik, The Unabomber? I think they're hilarious.I can't really put my finger on it, other than simply to say that I think he's an unfunny douchebag similar to Jamie Gold.
whoa, crossing the line a bit to compare ANYBODY to jamie goldis hellmuth annoying? of course, but we all have to live with it, he does it partly for his television image and partly because he just can't help himself...and i mean he has all the mental help he can get right in his home too, so that's not working eitherand who said he was trying to be funny anyways? he's not trying to be funny like matusow, he wants to have a certain camera image, combined with the fact that he thinks he is the best of all-time
I actually agree with most of this but Sean shouldn't just flippantly discount him as if he is in way over his head.btw I was at the WSOP watching the featured table during his infamous this guy can't even spell poker tirade & the i can dodge bullets baby hand. Hilarious stuff.

Phil Hellmuth is by far the best NL Holdem player in the world...He has proven it time after time..I love the guy and he is great for poker

How can you not like the guy? He's a big goofball. Like Clinton Portis with his different outfits... just absolutely hilarious person.

Phil Hellmuth is by far the best NL Holdem player in the world...He has proven it time after time..I love the guy and he is great for poker
The best TOURNEY NLHE player in the world, maybe.Brian Townsend would eat him alive heads up for high stakes cash.
in tournaments, surein cash games, not a chance
Sean I don't see why you discount Phil Hellmuth's chances so flippantly. He's played all the games, made numerous final tables in mixed game tournies, won 11 bracelets(apparently he can handle pressure) & has won a major stud tourny in Europe as well as many other accomplishments that would take too long to mention. On top of all this he has made it to the final 25 or so of the toughest field in poker in good chip position.Is it because some pros like DN like to make a big production to say how they welcome him anytime in their cash game?Don't worry, all the pros know he is dangerous in this format as well as HE. That being said, I hope he crashes and burns because if he wins it we'll never hear the end of it.
Phil has a chance of winning the horse tournament any given year, but his chance is much smaller than some of the other pros."He's played all the games" - Yeah, so. There are a fair number of pros in the field that have played these games for many years at a higher level than Phil has. "Made numerous final tables in mixed game tournies" - Where the field was as strong as this one?? Won 11 bracelets(apparently he can handle pressure) - Phil's bracelet count shows what an amazing nl tournament player he is and his dedication to winning more bracelets. I'm sure pros playing in the Horse tournament can "handle the pressure." "has won a major stud tourny in Europe as well as many other accomplishments that would take too long to mention."Phil is a great poker player. And no one is going to say he sucks at mixed games. It's just if you take the time to get to know some of the other lesser known players who enter the Horse event, you realize Phil's chances of winning the Horse event are small. Not impossible, but small. If Phil keeps up his burning desire to smash every poker record, I could see him focus his attention on mixed games, and thereby become a strong contender. But it's hard to put him in the same league as Greenstein, Ivey, Eli, and about 20-40 other pros. Being considered in the top 100 in the world would still be an amazing accomplishment, but it also wouldn't be surprised if Phi never made a Horse final table in his life.
How can you not like the guy? He's a big goofball. Like Clinton Portis with his different outfits... just absolutely hilarious person.
i think he's hilarious when he gets mad and pouts around like a little two-year-old, but i don't see him as a clinton portis type...portis tries to be funny and is just weird, hellmuth tries to be mad and comes off insanely hilarious
The best TOURNEY NLHE player in the world, maybe.Brian Townsend would eat him alive heads up for high stakes cash.
ARE YOU KIDDING? HE WOULD STARE THROUGH HIS SOUL! :club:
qft
Phil has a chance of winning the horse tournament any given year, but his chance is much smaller than some of the other pros."He's played all the games" - Yeah, so. There are a fair number of pros in the field that have played these games for many years at a higher level than Phil has. "Made numerous final tables in mixed game tournies" - Where the field was as strong as this one?? Won 11 bracelets(apparently he can handle pressure) - Phil's bracelet count shows what an amazing nl tournament player he is and his dedication to winning more bracelets. I'm sure pros playing in the Horse tournament can "handle the pressure." "has won a major stud tourny in Europe as well as many other accomplishments that would take too long to mention."Phil is a great poker player. And no one is going to say he sucks at mixed games. It's just if you take the time to get to know some of the other lesser known players who enter the Horse event, you realize Phil's chances of winning the Horse event are small. Not impossible, but small. If Phil keeps up his burning desire to smash every poker record, I could see him focus his attention on mixed games, and thereby become a strong contender. But it's hard to put him in the same league as Greenstein, Ivey, Eli, and about 20-40 other pros. Being considered in the top 100 in the world would still be an amazing accomplishment, but it also wouldn't be surprised if Phi never made a Horse final table in his life.
While i don't disagree with any of this, I don't think he should be discounted and ridiculed as if he can't play anything but HE.As for you question- was the field as strong - highly unlikely since this is the toughest tourny field I think anyone has seen.
something to pass the time with kinda funny http://www.rawvegas.tv/push the big white play button
lol "i think it's the best showing by an inanimate object since rhett butler finishing fifth at last year's main event"
Nope. I didnt say he never won a mixed event that included holdem. I said he never won a holdem bracelet. But either way, my point was not to dis Ivey. cuz ivey is awesome. My point was you can be great in all poker games and not have a bracelet in those game.
Ivey won a bracelet in an event that included HE, which proves he can play that game at a championship level. Hellmuth has never won a bracelet in an event that did not include HE.

pokernews:Poker names such as Mike Sexton, Jerry Buss, Michael Mizrachi, and JC Tran have been seen railing the action at times today. The entire poker world's eyes are on this event today.shouldn't jerry be more concerned with trying to get kevin garnett to the lakers?

While i don't disagree with any of this, I don't think he should be discounted and ridiculed as if he can't play anything but HE.As for you question- was the field as strong - highly unlikely since this is the toughest tourny field I think anyone has seen.
I don't think anyone ridiculed his play, (well, DN and Mike might) but many people would discount his chances in a field this tough.