no readsnow that I look back, I don't like my river bet. Absolute PokerLimit Holdem Ring gameLimit: $2/$46 playersConverterStack sizes:UTG: $39.75UTG+1: $64GarbageBag: $87.50Button: $102.07SB: $40BB: $89.50Pre-flop: (6 players) GarbageBag is CO with K :D Q :D UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, GarbageBag raises, 3 folds, UTG calls.Flop: A :club: 8 :) J :) (5.5SB, 2 players)UTG checks, GarbageBag bets, UTG calls.Turn: 4 :D (3.75BB, 2 players)UTG checks, GarbageBag bets, UTG calls.River: A :D (5.75BB, 2 players)UTG checks, GarbageBag bets, UTG calls.

Without reads, I am taking the free card on the turn. If PAHUD tells me he often folds to turn bets I will go ahead and fire away.And you should cut off the action at your river bet.

I check the river though. K-high does have some marginal showdown value at this point.
Yup, we can't expect he's calling a bet with anything you are beating.
Yup, we can't expect he's calling a bet with anything you are beating.
I knew after I looked back that it was a bad river bet..
I bet the turn every time.
Although I absolutely couldn't fault a turn bet, I would like to hear your reason why. In practice, I probably bet this turn as well. I just kind of want to reinforce everything, I guess.
Although I absolutely couldn't fault a turn bet, I would like to hear your reason why. In practice, I probably bet this turn as well. I just kind of want to reinforce everything, I guess.
The reason why I bet the turn is for some reason it seems that some players see a turn bet as more 'serious' if you will. They might call a flop bet seeing the ace hoping you did not hit with a low PP, but then fold the turn when fired to again.

Yeah, tons of players fold turns after calling the flop light. I'm prolly one of those people, lol.Also, we've got like a million outs in case we get called, and, we can take a free showdown and hopefully he's got a worse hand.

Preflop: Good. I always raise.Flop: Good. Represent the Ace. And we have many outs to pass the Ace up.Turn: Good. We still have some fold equity. And weall of our draw outs are almost surely clean.The problem with checking the turn is that it puts us in an awkward position on the river.Anyone who was making a loose flop call against us (which means they have less than KQ), is now likely to fire a bluff on the river after we showed weakness on the turn.And then what do we do?Call with K-high?We have the best possible non-paired hand.And I think that has value.Because it beats any true bluff.So I want to see showdown.But if we are willing to spend one more bet on this hand anyways, we might as well put it in ourselves on the turn.Because then, if we hit our draws, we are able to profit more by betting once again on the river.Worst case scenario: We get check-raised on the turn.But this isn't that horrible since we have so many outs to pass up the Villain anyways.And when we do, we gain lots of bets by raising his river bet.River: Bad. Anyone with a pair will call.Anyone without a pair is behind us.This is an ideal spot to check-call.--CM

I agree with other responders. The only way I'm checking the turn is if UTG is a tight-passive opponent who almost certainly has at least an A (and almost certainly won't be folding it).Make the Jc on the flop the 3c instead, and I'd check behind against more (but not all) opponents.

Anyone who was making a loose flop call against us (which means they have less than KQ), is now likely to fire a bluff on the river after we showed weakness on the turn.Because then, if we hit our draws, we are able to profit more by betting once again on the river.
so, just to be devils advocate here, this seems a bit counterintuitive, as a draw or bluff wont call the turn and the riverif we check the turn we can induce a bluff on the river. which is good if we hit one of our draws, or a pair. we can then raise (and i know you guys will say but he wont call with a bluff. but ill guess 1/2 the time he will, just for the sake of his table image. i got called with 9 high last night. and lots of other really weak things bet/call rivers when they have no hope of winning.)but at the very least we make one more bet (sometimes two) off of a bluff than we would if we bet the turn.i agree with bet the turn, btw, just throwing that out there.