it's very cruel...i know these animals will be killed, but that's no excuse for what they must endure.suffering should be the determining factor when deciding issues like this. i have not watched this movie, but have heard of pigs having their skin frozen onto the metal in those transport trucks, then literally being ripped out.chickens go through hell. i have heard that a killing method used for kfc chickens was to hang them upside down on a conveyor belt, get their throat slit, dunked in an electrical bath, then (it has been acknowledged that many do not get killed by this stage) being dunked in boiling water so that they can be de-feathered more easily. all male chicks born in a factory get tossed alive in a grinder, etc.i know that meat in our diet is not something that will be eradicated in the near future. i wonder if people would be ok with it if it was 'grown in a petri dish'? btw, i eat meat. i just think the killing methods and conditions should be drastically improved. if we did the sorta thing done to food animals to other animals, we'd most likely be arrested for animal cruelty.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chickens go through hell. i have heard that a killing method used for kfc chickens was to hang them upside down on a conveyor belt, get their throat slit, dunked in an electrical bath, then (it has been acknowledged that many do not get killed by this stage) being dunked in boiling water so that they can be de-feathered more easily. all male chicks born in a factory get tossed alive in a grinder, etc.
Once they are killed, can anything that happens to them be considered cruelty? If their head is chopped off, they are dead. Chickens flop around for a long time after that, so maybe someone who didn't understand that made a misleading report? I doubt that they just 'slit their throat' and leave their heads on because that would take more precision and time than just lopping it off. This sounds like hype already. This story doesn't add up.
Once they are killed, can anything that happens to them be considered cruelty? If their head is chopped off, they are dead. Chickens flop around for a long time after that, so maybe someone who didn't understand that made a misleading report? I doubt that they just 'slit their throat' and leave their heads on because that would take more precision and time than just lopping it off. This sounds like hype already. This story doesn't add up.
the chickens come by and a guy has a knife, he slits the throat. he does not completely cut off their heads, i never said that.i have even seen lambs on this type of conveyor belt, hanging upside down, and having their throats slit, so i know for a fact that this method is used. i actually think it would be a lot better to completely lop their heads off. i once chopped the head off a roster when i was 8.if u have doubts, why not watch the movie DN talked about? i checked, there are torrents avail.

I did some outside contract work at an egg farm about 5 years ago and i was disgusted. Piles and piles of cages to the ceiling. they were clearing the cages of the birds that didnt make it through the night. The smell was horrendous and I was gagging. i only eat free run eggs now but I am not sure how much better the conditions are there.

i only eat free run eggs now but I am not sure how much better the conditions are there.
I try to do the same, and I try only to eat organic meat and poultry. I'm not sure how much of a difference it really makes, though. It's amazing how we can humanize certain animals so well and keep them as pets and love them so much, and yet other animals for certain reasons (they're not as cute or they taste better or something) are tortured and slaughtered by the millions. Shrug.
Do they even know they exist? Can they feel pain? Any research on this? I mean if the animal can't feel it, animal cruelty doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
They obviously feel pain. Pain is necessary for survival. If you've ever heard a dog yelp, you know they feel pain.Whether or not they know that they exist is a difficult question. I would argue, however, that it is somewhat irrevalant. Their own self awareness and their knowledge of the concept of individuals, in my opinion, does not contribute in a direct way to the extent to which they feel pain or to the extent to which that pain is cruel.
I try to do the same, and I try only to eat organic meat and poultry. I'm not sure how much of a difference it really makes, though. It's amazing how we can humanize certain animals so well and keep them as pets and love them so much, and yet other animals for certain reasons (they're not as cute or they taste better or something) are tortured and slaughtered by the millions. Shrug.
i would like to eat free-range and organic, it's just too expensive for me right now. i'm sure it makes a diff to u, right? i know i'd feel a lot better about what i eat.

I just watched that documentary Daniel was talking about "earthlings" man what an eye opener for me...I dont consider myself nieve to many things but I litterally didnt know much about the tortureing of animals. I'm pretty disgusted after watching this movie. Unfort I love eating meat........but I see how ppl become vegans or vegetarians now.I'm thinking my eating habits will be changing quite soon

Yeah, fast food nation was the book that really opened my eyes up to the conditions of industrial meat production. The thing is, I just don't really give two shts one way or another about animal cruelty, and certainly not enough to give up bar-b-que.

Yeah, fast food nation was the book that really opened my eyes up to the conditions of industrial meat production. The thing is, I just don't really give two shts one way or another about animal cruelty, and certainly not enough to give up bar-b-que.
It is a chicken. Kill it and eat it...that is what it is for!! I don't want to torture it, make it suffer or anything else but at the end of the day it is a FREAKIN meal!!!!! :club:
so stories like these ones don't touch a nerve with u?:"Neighbor Ronald Rodriguez told News 4 he was standing in the street watching Fernando Ramiro torture the dog on his front porch."I mean that dog was just yelling and screaming. It's crazy," said Rodriguez. He added, "Those shears were that long. That, you know, that dog was not that bad off."After the pruning shears failed to work, Rodriguez said Ramiro then held down the dog by pushing his foot down on the dog's head and tried to use a dull pocket knife to cut off the dog's leg. Rodriguez told News 4 that's when he called the police."http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/10776/TX/US/RSS/------------------------------------------------------------------------"Police said they found the dead mixed-breed puppy inside an oven at an apartment community center Aug. 21. Scratch marks were found inside the oven, indicating the puppy had been alive when it was placed inside, prosecutors said.A necropsy on the 3-month-old dog found its paws and snout had been duct taped and it had been doused with paint before being placed in the oven, prosecutors said."http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17074960/U don't give 2 sh*ts about these things? A history of animal cruelty during childhood was significantly associated with APD (antisocial personality disorder), antisocial personality traits, and polysubstanceabuse. Mental retardation, psychotic disorders, and alcohol abuse showed no such association.http://www.jaapl.org/cgi/reprint/30/2/257.pdf
It is a chicken. Kill it and eat it...that is what it is for!! I don't want to torture it, make it suffer or anything else but at the end of the day it is a FREAKIN meal!!!!! :club:
while i would argue against the view that '...that is what it is for!!', i see no problem with eating meat per se. it is the cruelty in the industry that is an issue.

When I was a kid we lived on a farm, each of us kids got or 'own' cow, which after it had been fed for a yar, was slaughtered. we had to go with the cow to watch the slaughter. They were very humane, quick shot to the head with 22, then cut it up. I have known how beef is harvested my whole life, no big deal.The reason the sheep were hung from their back leg and had their throat slit was to keep them kosher, you have to drain the blood.The reality is that we need fast ways to kill animals and keep them semi clean to produce the amounts of meat we eat, while keeping the prices low. I do not want to watch it or smell it, but I will eat it. I'm cool with that.Cruelty to dogs is not on the same level as mass producing hamburgers. Those people torutring dogs are criminals.Heard an interesting reality about ethanol, corn based fuel. The larger the demand, the higher the prices for pork and beef, since the feed is going to fuel manufacturers instead of feed grain silos. This will drive the price of milk, hamburgers etc up. So ethanol will result in hurting the poor by making Big Macs more expensive. Us rich guys will not be affected by $5 Big Macs.But if more of you people become vegetarian, then my Filet Mignons will stay a reasonable $32 each. Thanks for your help.

Cruelty to dogs is not on the same level as mass producing hamburgers. Those people torutring dogs are criminals.Heard an interesting reality about ethanol, corn based fuel. The larger the demand, the higher the prices for pork and beef, since the feed is going to fuel manufacturers instead of feed grain silos. This will drive the price of milk, hamburgers etc up. So ethanol will result in hurting the poor by making Big Macs more expensive. Us rich guys will not be affected by $5 Big Macs.But if more of you people become vegetarian, then my Filet Mignons will stay a reasonable $32 each. Thanks for your help.
What about this my friend? Is this inhumane?180px-Catjuggling.JPG...And I 2nd more of you becoming vegans. I'd like to keep the price of my Chateaubriand within a reasonable range. I don't have as much helium as BG.
When I was a kid we lived on a farm, each of us kids got or 'own' cow, which after it had been fed for a yar, was slaughtered. we had to go with the cow to watch the slaughter. They were very humane, quick shot to the head with 22, then cut it up. I have known how beef is harvested my whole life, no big deal.The reason the sheep were hung from their back leg and had their throat slit was to keep them kosher, you have to drain the blood.The reality is that we need fast ways to kill animals and keep them semi clean to produce the amounts of meat we eat, while keeping the prices low. I do not want to watch it or smell it, but I will eat it. I'm cool with that.Cruelty to dogs is not on the same level as mass producing hamburgers. Those people torutring dogs are criminals.Heard an interesting reality about ethanol, corn based fuel. The larger the demand, the higher the prices for pork and beef, since the feed is going to fuel manufacturers instead of feed grain silos. This will drive the price of milk, hamburgers etc up. So ethanol will result in hurting the poor by making Big Macs more expensive. Us rich guys will not be affected by $5 Big Macs.But if more of you people become vegetarian, then my Filet Mignons will stay a reasonable $32 each. Thanks for your help.
whether or not torturing dogs and the food industry are on the same level is in the eye of the beholder. i was replying to the poster who said 'I just don't really give two shts one way or another about animal cruelty..'.i know about halal and kosher practices, very inhumane if u ask me. but, and i may be wrong, aren't jewish people not 'allowed' to eat sheep? cloven hoof or something?i have also heard about biofuels causing the world's poor to suffer more. hugo chavez, and i think castro, mentioned this a while back. pretty much mocked in the 'western' world, but then an independent study came to the same conclusions. but it had more to do with taking up arable land, so less grains will be used for human food. i assume there are many issues with it.already the raising of cattle is a strain on resources, in terms of what is required to feed them(not to mention the waste issues), and how the equivalent amount could help a lot more people eat than what the cow will provide.btw, just finished eating some pot roast, so i am not an extremist vegan or anything.

I've got a solution for all of you, go to Trader Joes, Organic, Kosher, free range, etc. and it is Cheaper than Safeway or Raleys!BG $32 for a fillet? You better be at resturaunt, I hope you are not paying that for somehting your are cooking at home or you are getting ripped!

I've got a solution for all of you, go to Trader Joes, Organic, Kosher, free range, etc. and it is Cheaper than Safeway or Raleys!BG $32 for a fillet? You better be at resturaunt, I hope you are not paying that for somehting your are cooking at home or you are getting ripped!
Cook .... at home......they still do that?
i have also heard about biofuels causing the world's poor to suffer more. hugo chavez, and i think castro, mentioned this a while back. pretty much mocked in the 'western' world, but then an independent study came to the same conclusions. but it had more to do with taking up arable land, so less grains will be used for human food. i assume there are many issues with it.already the raising of cattle is a strain on resources, in terms of what is required to feed them(not to mention the waste issues), and how the equivalent amount could help a lot more people eat than what the cow will provide.btw, just finished eating some pot roast, so i am not an extremist vegan or anything.
In the 70s we were given the then vogue scare of over population. Till a lady wrote a book that showed that there is enough farm land in India to feed the entire world. That was 30 years ago, so now you would probably have to throw in Peru and Uruguay to feed the entire planet.The government still pays people not to grow food in this country. My dad's uncle is one of them.If people complain about cows taking up too much space, then they will just house them in pens, and not them them roam. So the same people will complain about that.Supply and demand is a two way road. Either stop the demand, or let market forces go, but to try to restrict and control the way things are done only hurts people in the long run. Usually the poor first.
so stories like these ones don't touch a nerve with u?:"Neighbor Ronald Rodriguez told News 4 he was standing in the street watching Fernando Ramiro torture the dog on his front porch."I mean that dog was just yelling and screaming. It's crazy," said Rodriguez. He added, "Those shears were that long. That, you know, that dog was not that bad off."After the pruning shears failed to work, Rodriguez said Ramiro then held down the dog by pushing his foot down on the dog's head and tried to use a dull pocket knife to cut off the dog's leg. Rodriguez told News 4 that's when he called the police."http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/10776/TX/US/RSS/------------------------------------------------------------------------"Police said they found the dead mixed-breed puppy inside an oven at an apartment community center Aug. 21. Scratch marks were found inside the oven, indicating the puppy had been alive when it was placed inside, prosecutors said.A necropsy on the 3-month-old dog found its paws and snout had been duct taped and it had been doused with paint before being placed in the oven, prosecutors said."http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17074960/U don't give 2 sh*ts about these things? A history of animal cruelty during childhood was significantly associated with APD (antisocial personality disorder), antisocial personality traits, and polysubstanceabuse. Mental retardation, psychotic disorders, and alcohol abuse showed no such association.http://www.jaapl.org/cgi/reprint/30/2/257.pdf
Not really, no. I mean, I don't think doing that to dogs should be legal, but if you mean "does it light a burning fire in my soul to change the way the meat industry produces food?" it doesn't.

Humans are carnivores. We are SUPPOSED to eat meat... that's just how it is. Unfortunately, there are billions of us on this earth. Therefore, less than utopian methods are used to supply this huge demand.All the 'mmmm I'm gonna eat me some dead cow' bs is getting tiresome. Every time DN gets to mention it, he does.Just keep enjoying your rice. I'm sure the Vietnamese rice pickers enjoy you paying large food companies around 10x what they earn in one day, for each packet. Arn't you contributing to their exploitation and cruelty?