Going Back To School

Recently I've decided that I want to go back to school to get a degree for a couple of reasons. First of all, when I was in school, I wasn't pressured into playing because 'i need to play since I'm not a student and I should be making money'. This is a very annoying thought because I want to play for the enjoyment of the game and not for the money. Even though I'm not desperate for money I still find myself having those thoughts. Second of all, I'm thinking long-term. RIght now it seems as if online poker will never become illegal and I know that I believe that it likely wont (I'm in Canada). But you never know. It might. And even though I like live poker, I'd need to be playing 10/20 NL to make what I'm making 1/2 and 2/4 NL. It would be more of a grind. Now some reasons for going back to school is it would be more of a party atmosphere and it will give me a reason not to sleep until 4 p.m. lol. And the social aspects of university. I'm still taking a year off that I was planning on, it's just I will most likely be coming back after (I said to everyone I knew that I was coming back, when in reality, I knew, or thought I knew, that I wasn't coming back). I have set aside enough tuition money that I will need to get the degree and have about 12k in my bankroll left and a coulple g's for spending. Now I wont feel pressured to win anymore which inturn should make me win more because it's less pressure on me.Now, my question is, if poker becomes illegal or I decide to get a 'real' job, what can I do with a psychology and math degree? It's pretty broad and so I'm not sure as to what kind of a job I'd be doing. thanks.

10/20 NL ?? do you realize the type of cash you would make if you were a successful winning 10/20 NL player??i dont think you do, because if you did. You would keep playing 1/2 and 2/4 and not worry about school until you really start to hate poker

10/20 NL ?? do you realize the type of cash you would make if you were a successful winning 10/20 NL player??i dont think you do, because if you did. You would keep playing 1/2 and 2/4 and not worry about school until you really start to hate poker
think about it. I usually 2 table and on average i play 200 hands/hour.live, average is 25 hands/hour. that means I'd need to play stakes 8 times bigger live than online to make the same amount at the same stakes. 1/2 ---> 8/16 or 10/20 since there is no 8/16.edit...assumption is similar skill level. Although I think I could probably maintain a higher bb/100 live than i could online simply because of the tells aspect of the game.

think about it.I usually 2 table and on average i play 200 hands/hour.live, average is 25 hands/hour. that means I'd need to play stakes 8 times bigger live than online to make the same amount at the same stakes. 1/2 ---> 8/16 or 10/20 since there is no 8/16.edit...assumption is similar skill level. Although I think I could probably maintain a higher bb/100 live than i could online simply because of the tells aspect of the gameI dont think you can really boil it down to simple multiplication. a successful 10/20NL player wil probably clear 4k a week. if you're clearing 4k a week playing online, why do u want to go back to school??

P.S. you can do a lot with any degree. In all honesty, some places dont care what you majored in. U could easily become a teacher. if thats not for you a math degree could get you into a nice government Job. since u are canadian, canada post would definitely take you into consdieration when hiring supervisor type positions.

I don't make 4k a week playing 200NL or 400NL but that's because I play 20 hours a week on average. I'm not going back to school because I'm not making enough money, it's just that when I'm in school, I feel more free. I always feel like I should be playing when I'm hanging out or just relaxing because I could be making money. I hate thinking that because I don't want poker to take over my life. It's just a game. But I agree that playing live, you can make 4k a week if you play like 30 hours a week at 10/20. That's only 2 buy ins. I guess if I put in more hours at 200NL and 400NL I could get there since my bb/100 is about 12. But I prefer to play in moderation.

Like others have said, you can do almost anything with a degree in a field like psychology. However, if you do intend to work within the field of psychology itself, expect to get a post-graduate degree. You can't do much work in the field of psychology without at least a masters. I have a Ph.D. in psychology and I do neuroscience research at a university. My fiancee is a clinical psychologist, and the options for her are broader because in addition to research she can have a private practice and see patients in therapy. It's a great line of work but it does take many years of training.

I think there is a lot of math involved with the research that is done in the field of psychology.For instance, statistical distributions, identifying trends, relationships, etc. Look into it.

hi i spent 50k on a biology degree but am to sick to get a job so i play 1/2 nl onlineweeeedont u just wanna be like meeeeeee?HOLLAAAA
autograph please?

math degrees are extremely valuable. First they are highly regarded by graduate schools like law school/business school/med school. You can become an actuary which is paid well but boring. agencies like the nsa employ tons of math majors (is their an nsa equivalent in canada?). and also of course teaching. Consulting firms like accenture higher math majors to work with their engineers, and nasa also uses them for problems often reduced to linear algebra. also its much more respectable than the "science" of psychology.

math degrees are extremely valuable. First they are highly regarded by graduate schools like law school/business school/med school. You can become an actuary which is paid well but boring. agencies like the nsa employ tons of math majors (is their an nsa equivalent in canada?). and also of course teaching. Consulting firms like accenture higher math majors to work with their engineers, and nasa also uses them for problems often reduced to linear algebra. also its much more respectable than the "science" of psychology.
I hear the Fish and Wildlife Rangers are on the secretive side...

i have maths degree (based in stats) - don't ask me anything cos it was over 12 yrs ago now.as for your employment prospects with this type of degree I would say they were pretty good. I myself work in IT and do okay.Also, doing some psychology along with your maths should alleviate the grind that comes with doing all maths.I would check out careers advice in your area though, they probably know more than ppl on a poker forum.One piece of advice I would give is this. If your gunna do it, make a good job of it. I'm not sure how the marks are allocated where you are but where I am if you get a first you get your choice of jobs. If you get a third then your 'serving tables' - you would have been better not bothering.So, do it properly with everything you've got or don't bother.(And with regard to psychology being thought as a little lightweight - that it the case in the UK but (I'm told) definitely not in the US and presumably not in Canada.Good luck

i have nothing productive to add to this thread other thenBack to school! Back to school, to prove to Dad that I'm not a fool! I got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight, I hope I don't get in a fight! Ohhhh, back to school! Back to school! Back to school!

also its much more respectable than the "science" of psychology.
*Ahem*. Why is science in quotes there? Psychology is the study of the mind and behavior and is no less a science than any other. I think many people think of psychology as therapy, but that is only one corner of our magnificent field! It includes everything from the study of psychological disorders like schizophrenia to social phenomenon like prejudice, cognitive processes like memory and language, as well as the study of the effects of brain damage and the neuroscience of thought. For example, I am a psychologist and I do brain imaging research, which is most clearly a "science". It is a glorious profession! Don't knock it again or you will have bad beats all week!