Eli Elezra Wins His 1st Bracelet.

If you think this doesn't happen every year at the WSOP, then I've got a bridge to sell you in New York. I guarantee at least one of Phil Hellmuth's bracelets was earned this way. In the non-televised years of the WSOP preliminary events final table deals were rather common. Listen to Hellmuth talk at the 2004 TOC, he's all about the deal.It is common practice. These are professional gamblers. If that tarnishes the value of a bracelet then maybe you shouldn't hold them in such high esteem.
Making a deal for a bracelet is kinda sorta ok, but doing it when you have a bet on whether you'll win a bracelet with another person isn't exactly according to Hoyle. Seems shifty to me too, but I don't really know either way.
If you think this doesn't happen every year at the WSOP, then I've got a bridge to sell you in New York. I guarantee at least one of Phil Hellmuth's bracelets was earned this way. In the non-televised years of the WSOP preliminary events final table deals were rather common. Listen to Hellmuth talk at the 2004 TOC, he's all about the deal.It is common practice. These are professional gamblers. If that tarnishes the value of a bracelet then maybe you shouldn't hold them in such high esteem.
ummmmm......wait...wait, what?
Making a deal for a bracelet is kinda sorta ok, but doing it when you have a bet on whether you'll win a bracelet with another person isn't exactly according to Hoyle. Seems shifty to me too, but I don't really know either way.
Well that is determined by those who are betting. In similar form, Gavin Smith talked about this when he refered to a bet he had with Bill Chen in the shootout event. The two had a bet for $2k as to whether they would win their tables. When it got to heads up, Chen made a deal with a guy for him to move on and gave the guy a 20% stake in his future earnings in the event. Gavin didn't think Chen deserved the full $2k because of this deal and they are leaving it up to the rec.gambling forum to decide what percentage Chen should actually get of the $2k.Now that seems fair.
ummmmm......wait...wait, what?
In the 2004 TOC coverage Hellmuth talks about dealing. He says that once Daniel was eliminated that the group could talk about a deal since Daniel had a no deals policy. He figured the other players would change the format from a winner take all battle. He goes on to talk about how this is commonplace in tournaments. The way he expressed it, it seemed (to me at least) that at final tables in the past that the money portion was secured before it got to the end. It just made me think that all of his bracelets weren't fought for tooth and nail. Once a deal has been procured, IMO it totally changes the way the game is played.
In the 2004 TOC coverage Hellmuth talks about dealing. He says that once Daniel was eliminated that the group could talk about a deal since Daniel had a no deals policy. He figured the other players would change the format from a winner take all battle. He goes on to talk about how this is commonplace in tournaments. The way he expressed it, it seemed (to me at least) that at final tables in the past that the money portion was secured before it got to the end. It just made me think that all of his bracelets weren't fought for tooth and nail. Once a deal has been procured, IMO it totally changes the way the game is played.
stopsmokingpotin no way does that imply his other bracelets are shady. He was kinda looking out for the others, how would you feel if you played a 10 player tournament for 2 mill that was winner take all and you took second?Phil apparently wanted to agree that the winner would give X place and X place X $$$
stopsmokingpotin no way does that imply his other bracelets are shady. He was kinda looking out for the others, how would you feel if you played a 10 player tournament for 2 mill that was winner take all and you took second?Phil apparently wanted to agree that the winner would give X place and X place X $$$
I didn't say he implied anything. What he did say was that he regularly looked to make deals in WSOP caliber events. I AM SURE there were times when he was playing for a bracelet where the money was settled and all they were playing for was the bracelet. Don't be so naive.