"dude You Played That Hand The Worst Possible After The Flop"

Full Tilt - 4 handed SNG - Blinds 30/60UTG (t1155)Villain (t3732)SB (t5303)Hero (t3310)Preflop: K :club: , 6 :D UTG folds. Villain calls t60. SB folds. Hero checks.Flop: T :D, 3 :D , K :D Hero bets t100. Villain calls t100.Turn: J :diamond:Hero checks. Villain checks.River: 4 :heart:Hero checks. Villain bets t350 (pot). Hero folds.I thought it was pretty standard when you consider the stack sizes. Check the turn for pot control and possibly lead any non-scary river or if I hit trips or two pair. Unfortunately a heart fell completing a flush. My friend who was watching me said "Dude you played that hand the worst possible after the flop."Reads: I saw this guy INSTA call pot sized bets with a flush draw earlier (and he instaed me on the flop) and when he hit his flush he bet pot (which is how much he bet on the river), not just once, but twice. So if he's not mixing it up, and at my $10 SNG level, I doubt he is, he's representing the flush. I haven't seen him make any moves and he was fairly passive unless he had a hand.So did I play this poorly? If so how would you play it differently?

Yes, I think you played it poorly. The flop bet is fine. In a heads up pot (unraised), I'll often check top pair but not usually on this draw heavy a board. The turn card wasn't the greatest so checking is ok, especially managing the pot out of position. I think you have to call the river. The blinds are only 30/60 so losing this pot is not going to hurt your ability to play. You are ahead here more often than not. He's shown no strength anywhere in the hand until the river. Look at it from his point of view. You lead the flop, checked the turn and river. My read would be "this guy has given up on the pot." If I was in that situation, I'd be betting the river with air a good portion of the time if I think they will fold. OTOH, if your read is correct and you call and he has the flush or two pair or something that beats you you can add to your opinion that he is passive and only bets when he has a hand. That information will be valuable later on in the tourney. You have to get out of the mode that when the 3rd card to a flush comes that your opponent always it, especially in a heads up pot. You must be aware of the possibility but don't assume. Would you call a bet on that flop in a heads up with QJ? I would, especially in position. His range is very wide here, I can't see folding. When was the last time you hit 3 flushes in half an hour? (one table) I don't run that well, if he does then pay him off one last time.

I think I play it the same until the river, but I bet/fold for 200. The flush hitting isn't good, but it's better to lead 200 and possibly get value from a jack or a 10 than check and face a bigger bet from what may be a bluff.Oh, and this Fast Reply thing rules.

Trust your read and fold. Calling isn't a huge mistake, and you might consider it to gain information, but there's usually no information to be gained from calling passive players' big bets.

I don't mind any of the plays here and the only reason I say it is because it is a small pot. The bigger the pot in this type of situation, the more likely I call or lead bet. I think as said before, you do not lose yourself much by folding here.As said, three flush cards are less likely to have made a flush than most think in these situations IMO.

Look at it from his point of view. You lead the flop, checked the turn and river. My read would be "this guy has given up on the pot." If I was in that situation, I'd be betting the river with air a good portion of the time if I think they will fold.
Yeah, I know what it looks like from his point of view, but the guy didn't seem aggressive at all. He never raised PF in position, usually just limped. He rarely bet when it was checked to him. I saw him earlier when the blinds were 20/40 check this hand down the whole way heads up with the BB after this guy had limped in the cutoff. Flop: KJT. Checks. Turn 8. Checks. River 7. Checks. BB shows like 25o and he shows ATo. Now that might not be an ideal flop for ATo but he flopped bottom pair with a gutter ball. And more than likely the BB doesn't have a K or J or any piece of that flop for that matter except some sort of straight draw possibly. I'm usually betting there with ATC.He just seemed way passive, I could've gotten bluffed here but I thought with the situation, 4 handed with an obvious short stack, a passive guy like him probably isn't betting here without a flush and he played this hand the exact same way as the other flushes. I thought check/folding isn't a huge mistake given the situation and if he did bluff me I can set him up later on down the tournament.

If you feel that strongly about your read then you have to go with it. Without a read, the guy has shown zero strength throughout the hand and then makes a sizeable river bet. In a Heads up pot your top pair is good there more often than not. I'm calling there. Now, if the blinds were bigger and losing the pot would have a greater impact on my stack I would let it go. Another thing...its not like the shortstack is crippled. The blinds are only 30/60. I don't know whether the next level is 40/80 or 50/100 but he isn't desperate yet. I don't see the shortstack's situation having a significant impact on the villian's thinking here. It seems to me you are overthinking. That's not to say you're read is incorrect. If he is that passive, predictable player you think he is then folding is right. As the hand played out, against most people I'm making the call. I like Simo's suggestion in this situation too. Leading the river for a smaller amount gets value and if he raises we know we're beat.

If your read tells you he's chasing his FD when he calls your flop bet, why not increase your lead on the turn to make him pay for his flush? By checking the turn you gave him a free look at the river to complete his flush.

If your read tells you he's chasing his FD when he calls your flop bet, why not increase your lead on the turn to make him pay for his flush? By checking the turn you gave him a free look at the river to complete his flush.
Pot control. I don't really like building a massive pot with top pair no kicker esp. when I'm oop.On top of that he's insta-calling my bet anyways and when it hits I check/fold losing even more money.
Pot control. I don't really like building a massive pot with top pair no kicker esp. when I'm oop.On top of that he's insta-calling my bet anyways and when it hits I check/fold losing even more money.
That's defeatist reasoning. Yes, he's insta-calling your turn bet if he has a flush draw and your read is right, but 80% of the time, he's going to miss the flush on the river, and you've just won a bigger pot. You can't assume the flush card will come as it leads to you losing value.

It's not like K6o is the nuts or near nuts at this point. I'm not really trying to build a big pot here when I don't need to.