How Much Money Is Enough Money?

This was an interesting question that me and my friend Brian saw on a show tonight. "Screw you money" (edited for teh kiddies) is described as having enough money to be able to walk into your bosses office, jump upon his desk, whip it out and pee on his face and not care about the consequences. In otherwords...enough money to be able to live comfortably the rest of your life without worry. Now this is a little different for most people, and it also depends heavily on where you live. Screw you Money would more than likely be higher in California or New York than in either Dakota (no offense intended to anyone who actually lives in the Dakotas :club: ). The most realistic number we could come up with was 10 million dollars liquid. Here's why...if you take $10 million and invest it UBER conservatively and only earned 5%, you'd STILL be bringing in 500k per year without ever dipping into your principle. You could live in a huge home, drive any car (you and your wife), pay for everything for your kids (school, toys, etc.), have a sick bankroll and still have enough to take a couple of A++ vacations over the course of the year. All this without working one minute as your money is working for you. So what would it take for you? How much money would you need to accumulate to live the rest of your life the way you want? *eagerly awaiting the "eleventy brazzilian dollars" response*

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say give me if we are talking living comfortable..ill take 5 mill and earn 250k and after uncle sam rapes me ill have about 150k cash to live off...but just to live off and have no bank interest or investments....hopefully i need enough to live of off for 40-50 years..lets say 50 years..to live NICE..i would need 250k ayear..so i would need 12.5 mill..straight cash money

Honest answer for me is 10-12 mil after all taxes are paid (so if I won lottery, that is what I would have left)If you use a percentage of tax free muni bonds and tax deffered accounts you can create some incredible wealth and current income. I was just thinking about this recently (one of my clients got an inheritance). You have to take age into consideration and most importantly...How much $$ you are going to spend playing pranks on your friends! For me that would be a lot!

$3.5 Billion. I won't be satisfied until I have that. I can then buy the Lakers, Rams, and Dodgers and be able to spend to win and not worry about profit.
lol, that's a great way to get rid of a lot of money. :club:

I've recently realized a huge stockpile of cash isn't that necessary. I guess my goal is to travel and experience, and that means not accumulating a bunch of stuff. Also I've got a strong biz education and entrepenuarial background, so I'm not sweating it, but one mil and I'm cool for sure. That's 50k tax free income generated off just smoking the interest and I can definitely walk the earth and build more from there.Also, my dad was huge on FU money. He always told me, keep 6 months of all your living expenses in reserve at all times. This means you'll never have to do something you hate. B/C worst case scenario you say FU and have 6 months to find a new situation. Truly a brilliant guy, I miss the hell out of him.

$3.5 Billion. I won't be satisfied until I have that. I can then buy the Lakers, Rams, and Dodgers and be able to spend to win and not worry about profit.
Might take a bit more money than that. You'd have to buy the NFL first as currently I don't believe they allow you to own another sports franchise.Edit: I also don't really understand the question, as you say $10M because you can invest it to earn more, so $10M over all is not enough. Does this mean we can work somewhere else if all else fails? I say this because I would probably want around $20M if I wasn't allowed to earn more, however just to tell off my boss, that'd be closer to $10,000.

Sometimes money may not need to be a deciding factor to jump on your boss' desk and tell them to "F off"I think everyone should, at least once in their lives, tell their boss/supervisor/manager/CEO or owner to "stick it up their ..." for"NO APPARENT REASON WHAT SO EVER"Sure, 10 mil would be cool though :club:

I'd settle for 2 million. That would be $100,000 per year in interest, which is approximately $100,000 per year more than I am currently making.

I'd settle for 2 million. That would be $100,000 per year in interest, which is approximately $100,000 per year more than I am currently making.
in 30 years, $100,000 will not be enough money to live off of.

$10 Million a year.I'm planning on living for another 50 years... so that's $500m.The interest on that would pay for all the extra luxuries, with the $10m a year being the basic fund :club:

investing 10 million at 5% is going to net you gross 500,000 but take into account taxes and you're down to close to half of that i believe. Just something to take into account.NB. not entirely sure on US tax law.

So what would it take for you? How much money would you need to accumulate to live the rest of your life the way you want? *eagerly awaiting the "eleventy brazzilian dollars" response*
No amount of money will ever let you live your life the way you want. You start living the $500K a year lifestyle, and you'd have friends who live the $1,000K lifestyle.Then you'd start thinking ... "if I only had xxxx much money, I'd really be happy.

I'm not greedy. The interest on 1 million would give me the $50,000 a year I was making (I was only part time....doing the mommy thing). That would've been enough to let me quit. That certainly wouldn't cover living luxuriously, but I'd make due :club: The thing is, I really enjoyed my work, so I don't think I would have quit, even if I won the lottery. I would have cut back on my hours, but not quit.Instead, I just wait for the comp checks....

Living for the moment (but it won't last too long) in one of the highest taxed country of the world (France), i'd have to go for... $50M (€30M)But it's only because I want to be able to play against the best players in LV all year long, even if I lose 100K per night. :club:

They way I've understood "screw you" money in the past is very different than this concept. It means literally being secure enough that you can say "screw you" to your boss. That doesn't mean that you never have to find another source of income. It just means that you don't have to give up your dignity to stay solvent.In the manner that you've phrased the question, my answer is 1.7 million.

12 years ago I was discussing this question with a friend who convinced me $20M at the time was the minimum.I guess it helps if you don't even have to think about what you earn on interest per year.So that would mean about $40M in today's cost of living environment.I figure the easiest way to get there would be an internet startup, or go to China and build a factory and buy land.Next would be to marry it.Compare that to poker, how many of you can do what Ivey does without the craps?