I Have To Put My Dog Down

Sadly, I can relate.The toughest thing you may ever have to do. But be there with him in his last moments and a few tips for later on in the week...The house will be eerily quiet.You will still "hear" him though.The first night is the toughest.Make a dvd slideshow of old photos, this really really helped me.Wait a few months, but get a new puppy if you can. This was the GREATEST medicine a guy could have ever asked for, and there's no such thing as too soon. I thought it'd be "dishonoring" my first dog, but I was so, so wrong. It's HONORING them that you thought so much of them to get another, and you'll realize how different they all are and appreciate the good and the bad. And a link to help out...sorry man, there's nothing good I can say, but just know that you are doing the right thing and things will get easier.http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

I am sorry to hear about your loss. Pets are definitely family members. I had to put my cat down last summer because she got liver disease, stopped eating and became lethargic/anti social. We did have her cremated though (I know it's weird but she was the first family pet we had).My gf and I just got this Chihuahua back in January. I prefer bigger dogs with short hair and she wanted a small dog...so we compromised with a small dog, short hair. I never knew I'd be so attached to such a tiny dog, but she definitely bonded to me bigtime and follows me everywhere. I thought all chihuahua's were ugly but this one doesn't have the bug eyes that most of them have. But come to find out, she has a form of liver disease already and needs to be put on a special diet. She is only 8 months old.belle.jpgbelle2.jpg

I just got home from work really tired. My 4 year old black lab was so excited that I was home because she wants me to squirt her with the garden hose. I REALLY just wanted to sit and relax until the wife got home.Then I opened this. I'm going outside with the dog.OP - So sorry to hear. My deepest, warmest, and most sincere wishes.

Go out and buy the book "Marley and Me." When you think you can devote about 4 hours to it you will be glad you did. I have been companion to countless dogs in the last 50 years - it never gets easy to say goodbye. My mix breed, my Daschund and my Chihuahua - and myself - wish you the best in this trying time.

I had to put my beloved pug "Pugly" down last year. It was the toughest and most difficult day in my life so far. The only thing that made me feel good was knowing she wasnt suffering anymore. I miss her to death. I think of her every day. I feel for you and know what your going through.827709287_l.jpg

its tough. I had a 6 year old rotwieler he had brain cancer. In 3 months he went from 130lbs to 65lbs.The last week he went blind and i could not take him to the vet to put him down. Sad to say but i put him down, its tough but go out and get yourself a new dog. Its the routine that messes with you and getting back into a routine is the best medicine.

Damn you SOB's. I cried when I read that Rainbow Bridge poem. I had to have a procedure on my dog a couple of years ago and they had to put him to sleep to do it. I stayed with him when he was going under. He had such a helpless look in his eyes as he drifted off, almost as if asking me what was going on. It was comforting to know that if all went well he would be better for the procedure. It made me think how hard it will be when I have to put him down. He came through with flying colors. He is a very loving dog. I will say a prayer for you and your departed friend when I go outside and pet him before going to bed tonight. :club:

So i did it.It was the fuquin worst thing i've ever had to do.thank you all for your kind words and sentiments.I've been walking around with her collar all day.And drinking scotch.Oh god i miss my dog.

So i did it.It was the fuquin worst thing i've ever had to do.thank you all for your kind words and sentiments.I've been walking around with her collar all day.And drinking scotch.Oh god i miss my dog.
Keep the good thoughts in your mind. :pouring out a 40 for a homey smiley:

I had my dog cremated and as I said before that was 7 or so years ago, and I stil haven't spread the ashes, they are sitting at my parents house in a closet. I think I just put it out of mind, but this reminded me I need to spread them. I was going to back up to South Lake Tahoe and spread them where we lived when we got here.

I'm turning 20 in july, got my cat on my 4th birthday so he is going on 16 years old !! he is still an active cat as he lived most of his life outdoors prowling but when i hear his meow i know it doesnt sounds so strong anymore.. makes me sad to think that his day wil be coming eventually. op, i feel for you and also for everyone else that replied in this thread !

Sorry to hear about your loss. I shed some tears reading this thread. I don't have any scotch, but I raise a beer and give a toast to the memory of many wonderful pets.

Sorry for the loss, I know how it feels as we did the same a few years ago. She had diabetes at only age 6 and went blind a month later. We gave her two insulin shots a day and she lived happy for another year but had to put her down when she was only 7.

Man....****........FUQ.......... i don't wanna do it by they tell me i have to.i have tears running down my face as i type this.It's like carlin said,..........when you get a dog you're purchasing a small tradgedy.I've had her 14 years.I stole her from an abusive owner.I really REALLY feel like ****.I don't wanna kill my dog.
Just give it to Michael Vick. He puts dogs down all the time.