Stealing .........from Utg?

watching the 400K last night a player (biggity i think) was doing thisex. final table (or close) blind 10K 20K ante 2K pot=48Khe does a song and dance UTG then opens for 50-55K. what others plyers see is......EP raise, small raise.....OMG HUGE HAND!!!!!!(breakeven is about 7-15...which means if they fold >54% its +EV, of course that depends on # of players etcetc but u get the picture)he did this alot, got repoped once and folded. the rest of the time they folded. of course this works best deep in a tourney where:a. Ms are smallerb. players are good enuf to respect 'utg raises'thoughts? anyone seen this ?

I've seen this but yeah as you say this will only work in larger buy in tourneys where people actually respect your raises and if you have a distinctively tight image. Risk probably outweighs reward IMO though.

It definitely works, maybe not UTG, but maybe UTG+2, UTG+3. I'd much rather steal from this position if it is folded to me than say OTB or 1 off the button. People usually give ZERO credit for a legit hand when someone opens in LP, the re-raise range in this situation is VAST. however in the early, early-mid, the players behind usually assume you have at least better than air, so they give you credit for a decent ace, or middle pocket pair....this is enough to scare them out of re-raises w/o a premium hand. Only issue that can present itself is a flat call from a player left to act, now you're stuck playing a big pot (any pot is big at this point in a tourney) OOP. But, usually if the Blinds are big enough flat calling isn't a very profitable play because so much of any given players stack is in the pot at that point. So you're essentially putting them to the decision of committing PF, or folding. This is why it is such a good play to makel, you've put the players behind you in a position where they have to give you credit for a decent hand, but they can't call you with an equally decent hand, but they probably don't have a hand good enough to be able to re-reaise you so they usually have to fold, unless they're crazy.Obviously this is all dependent on the table image of the people set to act behind you and your own table image, etc.