Didn't see this posted before, which is suprising. For those of you who don't know who he is, here's a little background. In the '04 WSOP, Lawson won the Omaha Hi Bracelet and beat Lee Watkinson HU. Lawson was so outclassed at the FT which also included Freddy Deeb (3rd place) and some others. Lawson ends up misreading his hand, thinking he had a straight when he only had 4 cards to a straight, and melts down and knocks over all of his remaining chips (sorry can't find any youtube links). He was your typical amateur. He sucked out a couple of times and goes onto win the Bracelet. Well that's the last we'll see of him, I thought to myself. Wrong.Well then all the sudden last year when Lee Watkinson made the Omaha Hi FT again, he was there railing Lee Watkinson and was cheering him on. Lee and Ted appeared to be friends and Lee went as far as to say "Ted is coaching me." Joke or not, Ted Lawson was back in the limelight only briefly. Ok that is the last I'll see of Ted Lawson. Wrong again. He's currently 6th on the CardPlayer Player of the Year standings and has some impressive scores and seems very consistent. Has anyone played with him, is he actually good? Or is this positive variance? Did ESPN portray him as the donkey after he misread his hand and he's actually a good player? I'm quite befuddled (first time I've used this word ever) about this.

I know he likes rhinestone studded denim jackets with tassels.Hard to pull off, but he does it.He's no navybutton, but he's got his own sense of style.Poker, seems to be playing in alot of games last year and this year

Didn't see this posted before, which is suprising. For those of you who don't know who he is, here's a little background. In the '04 WSOP, Lawson won the Omaha Hi Bracelet and beat Lee Watkinson HU. Lawson was so outclassed at the FT which also included Freddy Deeb (3rd place) and some others. Lawson ends up misreading his hand, thinking he had a straight when he only had 4 cards to a straight, and melts down and knocks over all of his remaining chips (sorry can't find any youtube links). He was your typical amateur. He sucked out a couple of times and goes onto win the Bracelet. Well that's the last we'll see of him, I thought to myself. Wrong.Well then all the sudden last year when Lee Watkinson made the Omaha Hi FT again, he was there railing Lee Watkinson and was cheering him on. Lee and Ted appeared to be friends and Lee went as far as to say "Ted is coaching me." Joke or not, Ted Lawson was back in the limelight only briefly. Ok that is the last I'll see of Ted Lawson. Wrong again. He's currently 6th on the CardPlayer Player of the Year standings and has some impressive scores and seems very consistent. Has anyone played with him, is he actually good? Or is this positive variance? Did ESPN portray him as the donkey after he misread his hand and he's actually a good player? I'm quite befuddled (first time I've used this word ever) about this.
why does everyone keep ragging on the guy. he misread a damn hand. it happens when you have been playing for several hours straight.

I don't know about how bad he is...but he's an ******* at the tables. Both David Grey and Barry Greenstein were berating him in the half limit/half NL hold'em 5k buy-in for taking forever to make decisions. He does take an insane amount of time. I don't know whethere it is to tilt people or he's just a ******.

I played with him for about four hours as we played from three tables down to the final table at a circuit event at Caesar's last month. To be honest I didn't actually realize who he was until after play ended for the night. I wasn't all that impressed by him at the time; I figured him for just another random noob who liked to just shove all-in. His only notable accomplishment that I witnessed in that tournament was going all-in blind four or five hands in a row, winning them all, and going from 1k in chips (basically an ante) to 200k before hitting the FT.Personal experience aside though, his recent results have been pretty amazing. He has a bracelet and I don't. So... there's that.

why does everyone keep ragging on the guy. he misread a damn hand. it happens when you have been playing for several hours straight.
I haven't misread my hand before in the 6 years I've played poker unless you count squeezing a 4 and thinking it's an Ace for a half second until you realize it's a 4. I guess it's a small sample size tho. :club: He acted like a complete amateur the entire time he was there. Seems like a nice enough guy just didn't seem like he was goot.
I don't know about how bad he is...but he's an ******* at the tables. Both David Grey and Barry Greenstein were berating him in the half limit/half NL hold'em 5k buy-in for taking forever to make decisions. He does take an insane amount of time. I don't know whethere it is to tilt people or he's just a ******.
I know that Gavin Smith basically has zero respect for his game because they talk about Ted on PokerWire Radio a lot and mention that he makes a lot of boneheaded moves and bluffs pretty often. Sounds like he is one of those players who always, always gets called down and so he'll amass a ton of chips every time he goes on a heater.
He was stalling so he would miss the blinds before the end of play on day 1 in an event, and GSmith and Greenstein gave him alot of abuse (mostly verbal) over it. He also misread a hand from the bleachers (sp.) When Lee won his PLO Championship, when Lee's oppo turns a Full house and Lee turns the nut flush on an all-in, Ted screams YEAAAAAAAAH BAAAABY, the cameras track to him and he looks in shock at the screen and sits back down.
He was stalling so he would miss the blinds before the end of play on day 1 in an event, and GSmith and Greenstein gave him alot of abuse (mostly verbal) over it. He also misread a hand from the bleachers (sp.) When Lee won his PLO Championship, when Lee's oppo turns a Full house and Lee turns the nut flush on an all-in, Ted screams YEAAAAAAAAH BAAAABY, the cameras track to him and he looks in shock at the screen and sits back down.
You're thinking of Alan Kessler stalling so the blinds wouldn't roll around to him again.
You're thinking of Alan Kessler stalling so the blinds wouldn't roll around to him again.
ohhh yeah, it seems like the pokerwire radio crew dislike both of them i get confused between them...

I am also surprised at this guys results, from what you see on tv, read, and hear on the radio. This guy just seems aloof and a total bonehead. But he must be doing something right cashing and winning those tournaments.

You'd think from reading these post that ya'll think only good players go deep or win tournaments.
Rubbish.
lol, what did they do, go outside and beat him with trash can.Yeah, basically ditto to everything else said in the thread. He seemed like an amatuer jerk when he won the PLO bracelet (DN, Lederer, Lisandro, Williamson, Elezra, Juanda and Moneymaker all went deep in the event btw). I've been hearing his name come up and he does seem to be pretty consistant.
You'd think from reading these post that ya'll think only good players go deep or win tournaments.
Yet few bad players do it with the consistency that Ted Lawson has this year. Seriously, look at his cashes so far in 2007. And his 6th in the POY standings does not appear to be a fluke.

I am not sure about this guys but you can check it out, i think there are two ted lawsons, the plo braclet winner and then a younger guy in his 20s that is the one that is on the player of the year board. again, not sure but check it out.

I know that Gavin Smith basically has zero respect for his game because they talk about Ted on PokerWire Radio a
gavin is a gluttonous, usually drunk ex-cabdriver.ted lawson is a founder of a company that has yearly sales of about $100 million/yr.maybe when you're worth $30 million you can whoop it up at the table a little (because you're having fun) and not care so much what others think.
I am not sure about this guys but you can check it out, i think there are two ted lawsons, the plo braclet winner and then a younger guy in his 20s that is the one that is on the player of the year board. again, not sure but check it out.
Your thinking of Pete Lawson. I made the same mistake until I looked up Ted Lawson on CardPlayer and saw his pic.
gavin is a gluttonous, usually drunk ex-cabdriver.ted lawson is a founder of a company that has yearly sales of about $100 million/yr.maybe when you're worth $30 million you can whoop it up at the table a little (because you're having fun) and not care so much what others think.
Wow, didn't know that. What company is it?
Your thinking of Pete Lawson. I made the same mistake until I looked up Ted Lawson on CardPlayer and saw his pic.Wow, didn't know that. What company is it?
About 21st Century Holding Company21st Century Holdings insures that everyone in the new century is covered. Founded in 1991 and headquartered in Lauderdale Lakes, FL, 21st Century Holding Company (NASDAQ-GM: TCHC) underwrites insurance policies. The company operates in two segments: Insurance and Financing. It offers standard and non-standard personal automobile insurance, flood insurance, general liability insurance, mobile home insurance, and homeowners' property/casualty insurance in Florida. It also offers over 300 classes of business insurance in Louisiana, Texas and Alabama and homeowner's insurance in Louisiana. The company had 2005 revenue of about $94.6 million and has about 140 full-time employees. In May 2006, the company repurchased a total of 130,461 shares of its common stock from the open market at an average price of $15.34 per share.21st Century Holding Company ExecutivesEdward (Ted) J. LawsonChm, Pres & CEO
ohhh yeah, it seems like the pokerwire radio crew dislike both of them i get confused between them...
Yeah, the difference between the two is Kessler is a decent player who is just an extreme nit.Lawson might be a decent player who comes off as a total moron.Whatever the case, seems to be working for him.
Yeah, the difference between the two is Kessler is a decent player who is just an extreme nit.Lawson might be a decent player who comes off as a total moron.Whatever the case, seems to be working for him.
why do you think he comes off as a moron because he read a hand wrong. at the time he was relatively new to omaha. should he be crucified for that? he seems like a genuine person and a good guy in a poker world filled with sleazy people who prey on others.his intelligence and level of success is probably greater than 99.9% of the people who have bashed him.
why do you think he comes off as a moron because he read a hand wrong. at the time he was relatively new to omaha. should he be crucified for that? he seems like a genuine person and a good guy in a poker world filled with sleazy people who prey on others.his intelligence and level of success is probably greater than 99.9% of the people who have bashed him.
Like I said before, he seems like a nice guy but he just didn't come off to me as a card shark and the point of this thread was to find out if anyone had played with him or whatnot and if he was actually legit.The only thing I'm knocking on is his poker skill, not his intelligence or level of success.