Harrington on Hold'em is considered the best for NLHE Tournament Poker.I'd be surprised if that book had any new or revolutionary concepts, especially as it seems to be Phil Gordon.

HoH series is definitely what you should read first. I found myself disagreeing with a lot of his strategy.. but if you actually sit there and think (even if it means talking to yourself late at night) it will help you to become a better player in lower stakes 1500 chip fast moving tourneys. It helps put words to concepts you alreayd know and makes them much clearer i.e the M. Also.. supersystem of course as a general overall strategy guide. They are all pretty good and all generally say the same things.. my only real word of advice is stay away from any book written by phil hellmuth. although his chapter on omaha hi/lo in "play like the pros" is very well written for beginners.First post in a while.. That is all

Everyone trashes Hellmuth's book, but it's the best one out there for a pure beginner. No other book stresses the importance of folding as much it. I'd recommend it as your first book since it teaches you a style that is very effective in the low stakes games and will let you atleast break even or win a little as you learn. You won't become the next great player just by reading Hellmuth, but you'll be a solid and disciplined beginner in a very short period of time. He lays out a strategy for all the games that will win at the low limits. If you have a little natural poker skill and you do what he says, you'll be winning money right away.For a good and aspiring to be great player, the Harrington Series is the best poker literature out there. However, without a very solid foundation of poker knowledge and lots of playing experience to back it up, much of the content will just go right over your head. It's not that you won't be able to grasp it, you just won't be able to do it quickly. You'll need to do lots of re-reading and experimenting and playing, and then you'll need to re-read and experiment some more. You really have to put a lot into the HOH series to get a lot out of it. You can't expect to just read it and be a winning player right away, whereas with the Hellmuth book you basically can. With all that said, if you can only ever buy one poker book, buy three and get the HOH series. They are the best by far.

Anyone have 2 and/or 3 for sale or trade. I have HOH1 and the Super System, oh and the bible, Play Poker Like the Pros.
That book is such crap. Although it sounds like I may wish to go back and read the Omaha section according to another poster.

I actually picked up a copy of the new Full Tilt book yesterday at BN (local store). It's pretty good!First chapter, you get to "hear" Chris Ferguson tell you how to bet--based on how he bets, and why. Two chapters later, you get to "listen" to Ted Forrest tell you how every thing you just heard from Ferguson is all wrong (because it's too predictable).So far, it's one of the best I've read--and there are few I haven't read.And yeah, stay away from Hellmuth--that guy doesn't know squat about poker :club: