Full Contact Poker Your Online Poker Community

Daniel - Poker Journal

Quite Frankly…

27 Sep 2005

Lori and I stayed up all night talking and watching TV, and before we knew it, it was time for me to get on a plane!

My flight was scheduled to leave at 10:20am and we got to the airport at about 9:40am. Luckily, I had no bag to check, and no carry on for that matter. What a pleasure it is to fly with just a bottle of water and my Hockey News handy.

I connected in Detroit, and made it to LaGuardia by about 2:00pm. There was a car at the airport to pick me up and when I got there I headed straight for the green room.

Not too long after that Evelyn and Mike “The Mouth” showed up- Mr. Van Patten showed up fashionably late.

We hung out in the green room for a bit, but there was much less ego in the room in relation to the last time I has to deal with the “famous Phil’s, Gordon and Hellmuth.”

We got on set, and I already knew Stephen A. Smith from his days doing NBA Fast break. He comes off as very opinionated, but that’s because he is very confident in what he has to say- and he’ll back it up. He is full of charisma and it didn’t surprise me to see that he had his own show.

He is actually quite good at what he does. Most of you probably don’t realize how hard it can be to host a free flowing show like that. Chris Rose of FSN is an absolute master at keeping things moving without goofing his lines. Stephen A. is equally impressive.

What I was most impressed with, though, is the way that Evelyn has been handling the media. She didn’t always come off as confident as she does now. I was so happy to see her handle the pressures with ease and I think she came off as very well spoken and added a lot of value to the panel with what she had to said.

The Mouth? He is another story, LOL. He has a big mouth sure, but I wouldn’t go so far as to call him, “well spoken.” With Mike on the show, you better have somebody on the BLEEP button, because he just can’t help himself- he has one of the worst potty mouths I’ve ever heard!

All in all, the show went well I thought, and at 6:00pm when we wrapped, it was straight back to the airport for me. It was a 45 minute drive and I had a 7:45pm flight to catch. I made it with ease, and while I was walking by the bar I noticed the show airing.

I watched for a second or two, and this gentleman seated at the bar kept looking at me, then back to the screen, then back to me. He finally did a double take and was rather shocked. He didn’t say anything to me, but was trying to convince his buddy that the dude on the screen was right here.

His buddy was drinking, though, and I don’t think he even knew where he was, “The guy from the TV came out of the screen? What?” Never mind, LOL.

Anyway, I’m back on the couch in Grand Rapids, and tomorrow the plan is to help Lori’s sister Jodi and her husband Mike move into their new house. Just call me, “Mr. Handyman.”